Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at a Cobra in California and it is at a dealership. The VIN badge has Quality Roadster. I understand these cars were built by Chris Richards. I've tried contacting Quality Roadster with no luck. I don't know when they quit building the Cobra. My question is, they are asking $33,000 for it. Is this a fair price? I don't know a lot about Ford engines but it looks like a 5.0 and it is supercharged. It looks like a very nice build. The dealership said that it is a 2006.

Thank you for your help
Mick

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at a Cobra in California and it is at a dealership. The VIN badge has Quality Roadster. I understand these cars were built by Chris Richards. I've tried contacting Quality Roadster with no luck. I don't know when they quit building the Cobra. My question is, they are asking $33,000 for it. Is this a fair price? I don't know a lot about Ford engines but it looks like a 5.0 and it is supercharged. It looks like a very nice build. The dealership said that it is a 2006.

Thank you for your help
Mick
What is the FFR number as there may be a history of the car here on the cobra forums.

Bill S.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Mick: Ping around your area and see if you can get help from an FFR builder in your area to assist you in evaluating the car. FYI if you click on the Forums tab above you will see a classified section which has all kinds of completed cars, kits partially done etc. Might be worth a look before you drop 30K+ on this car. IMHO the FFR is the best bang for you $$ that exists out there.
HTH
CB

·
Registered
395 Posts
Weird vin but it is a Factory 5, can tell by the mounting bolts on the side. It's either and Mk1 or early MkII, single shoulder harness hole. As to its value? I sure would drive it first. Check it out thoroughly. I paid 34k for my MK1 2 years ago. Although it's an MK1 mine wasn't finished until 2005, only other time it was titled. I bought it because it drove well, was in show car condition and had low miles on it. I've made a lot of changes to it since. I would also try and get the specs on the engine, drivetrain. These cars are all different. Mine came with little more than the two build books from Factory 5. I had no idea where or what some of the components were, fluid levels. Mine was built when most were using donor parts. The only donor parts in mine were the wiring harness and the gauges which have now been up graded. I have since put together a book that lists all fluid levels, oil filter info etc.
I guess Quality was the company who built the kit?
Factory 5 tech and parts support is fantastic, I'm glad I bought mine, love it!

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
That car is located a few miles from my house. I'm about to leave town for the weekend but will try and stop by to check it out next week if time permits.

Jon

·
USN SEABEES RETIRED.
1,800 Posts
Interesting ride. MIGHT be worth something......

Engine pics to engine write up:
1) Explorer intake, which is advertised as a "COBRA INTAKE MANIFOLD" (or am I mistaken?)

Should be this, right?

2) Ad states "ENGINE FORD 5.0 302 HO EFI W/ENLARGED COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM 375HP TO 400 HP ESTIMATE COMPLETE" but does not mention the super charger....

NOT a car guy that wrote it up. No info on injector size, cam info,... Stuff that I would want to know with the supercharger working. I mean, if "PROFESSIONALLY BUILT NO EXPENSE WAS SPARED", where's a build sheet with a parts list?

Sorry, just my $.02 :confused1:

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Looks to be a Mrk II. It always hard to tell just by looking at photo's, but it looks like a nice build. Not sure how VIN #s are done in California, but here in Missouri the VIN #s are assigned by the state and have no reference to the FFR #s. It seems strange that some seem to suggest it isnt worth the $, yet we get complaints we dont see 'fair' prices for our cars. I would love to see more sales in this price range, I would be more that happy to sell mine for a 10-12% discount to that asking price.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Rich: If it is indeed an FFR it is worth the $$$ if it is well done, that's why I suggested one of the builders on this forum go give it a look and give his oppinion on the entire car, drive line, rear end set up, brakes,trans etc. I know FFR cars are worth more then we can get for them if they are built well. I went to a car show and some guy asked me what I had In my Coupe and I told him a bit north of 40K and he said "You will never get that when you sell it" and I told him it was not for sale and I did not build it to sell it, some people are just rude.You have to watch some dealers when the try to flip a purchase.
No disrespect intended in my post.
CB

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
positively not a "no expense spared" build, the dealer is exaggerating. major things missing are a carpeted trunk and coated sidepipes. the more minor things are aftermarket side-gill louvers, and many engine components are showing rust, which means they were not powder-coated or treated in any way.

I fully agree this looks like solid build, and that it probably runs perfectly. that's the most important thing, but but you can do much better than this for $34,000 plus dealer sales tax. if a dealer can/will/must give you some sort of warranty, that's definitely an advantage.

be sure to check our forum classifieds for comparisons.

·
6,296 Posts
The ad allso claims chrome Gas N sidepipes but they are obviously painted FFR pipes. Not a big deal but not what they claim either. The VIN number does not always match FFR's number, at least not in CA. Just make sure it has an SPCNS sticker applied by the BAR somewhere. It's usually in the engine compartment on a footbox or on the firewall.

Frank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,966 Posts
I think the Chris Richards connection means it was a well built car at the time as he had a very good rep at Quality Roadsters. It's hard to know it's current condition though and all the mistakes in the ad verbage makes me wonder a little about the seller.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.