Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Charter Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Seems like I have a tentative deal with a fellow forum member to purchase a partially completed Mk-4. Yahoo!!!! Let the fun begin...hopefully.

I need to pick up roadster and will need to rent a trailer. I need to know dimensions of roadster to determine what size trailer I will need.

Need width and length of body.

My intent is to put body on frame for transport. Also, not sure how many boxes there'll be, but I'm sure I can squeeze in several boxes in and around car, plus I'll have my extended cab Silverado for addt. space.

Any input you guys can offer (regarding shipping tips) is appreciated. I will ask for help spending money later. :shifty:

Nick

· Premium Member
460 Posts
Hi Nick,

I picked my kit up from the factory. I live in MD I rented a uhaul car hauler trailer 1 way for 2 days - it was only $140.00. You could rent it close to the the seller and return it close to home. If the car has tires on it - great. If not I messured the trailer and made 2 wide dollies on swivel wheels to fit in the tire tracks on the trailer and just rolled the kit off when I got home.

I have a Tahoe so most of the boxes were able to fit - so with an Siverado - no problem - especially since you won't have all the boxes.

PJ

· Registered
272 Posts
I was going to do the same thing so I looked the information up. The body is right around 158 inches long and 70.5 inches wide. You can see the specifications here.

Design | | Factory Five RacingFactory Five Racing

I figure the overall length includes the quick jacks so the fiberglass is probably slightly shorter. But if you're concerned and inch or ten get a bigger trailer. :)

Adam

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
A 16 to 18 foot flat bed trailer should work. I towed my GT40 with a 105" wheelbase, several muscle cars, and my son's S10 extended can pickup on it and it's a 16' trailer

· Charter Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

My plan is to rent trailer near seller and drop off near home.

Uhaul price for 16' trailer is a little over $400. I'll keep looking.

That price is for an enclosed trailer though. Should be a little cheaper for an open car trailer. I priced a closed trailer because I wasn't sure about space for boxes. But since it seems like my truck will be able to accommodate boxes, an open trailer should be fine.

Nick

· Registered
6,093 Posts
Hey Waterford! Lake Orion here. Just finished a similar mission last week to NH picking up a Mk4. The information you received already is correct -- the body is roughly 6 ft wide by 13 feet long. Fit perfectly (as it should have) into my 14 ft Serpent Express trailer. We didn't have any trouble fitting all the boxes into the floor of the trailer around the body, a couple into the cockpit area, and the rest into the back of our Durango with the seats down. Not sure how far you're going, but sure think about a covered trailer. We drove back last week through the big storms that went through Pennsylvania, NY, etc. Would not have been nice if everything wasn't under cover.

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,001 Posts
An open trailer will be fine. Uhauls are aluminum but are extremely heavy duty.

· Charter Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really liked the idea of a closed trailer, but UHaul doesn't have a big enough enclosed trailer.

Also, interestingly, if I pick up a UHaul open car trailer locally, tow it empty to NY, pick up the car, and turn in to same local location...price $55.

Picking up same trailer in NY and dropping off in Detroit area...price $480.

I don't like the idea, but may decide to tow empty trailer. $400 pays for some options I want.

Nick

· Registered
523 Posts
I found it a lot more convenient to rent a U-haul or Penske 16 foot box van (truck). During pickup from factory and in the midst of construction (for primer then final paint) I had to transport car chassis and/or body several times for paint, and found that prior to car being complete with heavy powertrain in it, it was far easier to use an enclosed van (impervious to weather and transport wind). ~70$/day with a AAA discount.

· Registered
272 Posts
Also, interestingly, if I pick up a UHaul open car trailer locally, tow it empty to NY, pick up the car, and turn in to same local location...price $55.

Nick
I think uhaul does that because the branches really value the auto trailers. There aren't a lot of them available and if they lose one to another branch they lose out on decent revenue potential as they are quite the popular rental. I'd be hard pressed to think of a day on the road when I didn't see at least one go by.

Adam

· Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Hi Nick,
congradulations on the purchase!
OBTW, is the kit already titled? Any issues where you live registering
the vehicle with the MCO made out to the original buyer when you go to title it yourself? I've heard of a few issues in some states ????
Just checking.....
Bob Mac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.