Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pull the steering wheel. I'm afraid to force anything. In my opinion it should come off easy.

Anyone else have a problem?

This is the equipment I'm using. As far as I can tell the middle black screw sits on the shaft and is not interfering with the hub. It feels like it though.
20200208_184307.jpg
20200207_142115.jpg

Jason

·
Well Used Member
240 Posts
That puller should do it. Try putting the center Allen bolt back in, leaving it a few turns out from tight, then run you puller down on the bolt (rather than on the shaft). Use 3 bolts in the puller yoke. Once the steering wheel hub loosens on the shaft a fraction of an inch, take the puller off and center bolt out and it should slide off easily from there. It's that first 1/16 to 1/8 inch that's tough.

Also, when I put mine back together, I don't go crazy tightening that center bolt. I go just enough to make it snug.

(Oh darn. I said I wasn't going to post in this forum anymore, and yet here I am.)

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That puller should do it. Try putting the center Allen bolt back in, leaving it a few turns out from tight, then run you puller down on the bolt (rather than on the shaft). Use 3 bolts in the puller yoke. Once the steering wheel hub loosens on the shaft a fraction of an inch, take the puller off and center bolt out and it should slide off easily from there. It's that first 1/16 to 1/8 inch that's tough.

Also, when I put mine back together, I don't go crazy tightening that center bolt. I go just enough to make it snug.

(Oh darn. I said I wasn't going to post in this forum anymore, and yet here I am.)
Thank you for posting I appreciate it

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I drilled my hub for a puller years ago, and I have used the puller many times. I now use a bit of anti sieve on the tapers of the shaft when I re-install the wheel. The hub is not as hard to get off, and it seats on the tapers just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drilled my hub for a puller years ago, and I have used the puller many times. I now use a bit of anti sieve on the tapers of the shaft when I re-install the wheel. The hub is not as hard to get off, and it seats on the tapers just fine.
Awesome I will try it

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,255 Posts
I squirt some penetrating oil in there and then pull. I sit like I am driving and alternate pulling on the left then the right. Eventually it comes loose but be ready so it doesn't slam into your teeth.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
I think a dab of anti-seize is smart. I had my hub on and off the shaft so may times during the build I managed to deform the tapered fit in the aluminum hub and it never fit very well afterwards. I replaced it with a new hub and have been careful ever since. Boat737's tips on removal and replacement are bang on.

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did pull it no problem I needed three points of contact. That was key rookie mistake and I knew that from pulling the engine apart too.

The bezel did not fit so the whole thing was a waste.

Thank you all

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts