Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I might have to pull the T-5 to locate where the strange noise is comming from, I thought that my Bendix was stuck (it is that kind of sound and the first time I heard it was during the start up and kept getting worse) so I replaced the starter thinking that would solve the sound but.... to no avail. I put a couple of spacers between the starter and the flange no change. I was thinking of removing the starter and giving it a bump start but the wife didn't want help push! Now it feels like it is a deeper problem the shifter lever is really vibrating and the engine will not idle (feels and sounds like it is surging) I did pull off the belt thinking it might be something like the water pump or alternator bearings . the noise is more of a squeal than a mechanical sound so maybe a throwout bearing? although it seems to shift ok. Any ideas before I tear into it?

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
the noise is more of a squeal than a mechanical sound so maybe a throwout bearing? although it seems to shift ok. Any ideas before I tear into it?
Can you adjust the clutch cable, (firewall adjuster) at all, just to see if it may be the TO bearing?

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW the noise doesn’t go away when the clutch pedal is depressed

· Registered
739 Posts
stupid thought... could it be a vacuum leak?

The shifter is likely shaking because the engine isn't running smoothly, which could be due to a vacuum leak. The squeal noise could also be the sound of a vacuum leak squeeling away. If you give the gas a good bump, does the noise get softer or go away? Anyway, just something else to check...

· Registered
4,498 Posts
questions for you

1st the engine, is it new?
2nd the tranny is it new?
3rd is the rear-end new?
4th mileage?
noises can transmit thru the engine into the tranny and from the rearend to the tranny.
the u-joint likes to have a noise all by itself as a bearing does. so before removing the tranny find the noise first. vibration check the mounts engine and tranny. check the u-joint with a large screw driver between the two for play.
it could even be the crankshaft to FW making the noise.
or it may not be mechanical at all and be something rubbing the drivetrain.
an out of balance wheel too
good luck
Leo

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leo, My car is a Mk. 1 I've had it for 9 years 30,K miles with no problems. The noise is present when the car is standing still and I haven't wanted to get it rolling under power At first it sounded like a combination of fanbelt slipping and the bendix gear on the starter wasn't retracting, it is that kind if noise I will record and post sometime tonight

· Registered
621 Posts
Vacuum leak

I have a Mark 1 also. The early FF cars were built differently than the new ones. You tend to hear everything in a exaggerated state.

A vacuum leak will make the car run horribly as well as causing vibrations from the front to rear. My vacuum leak was at the valve for the heater. I ended up replacing all the vacuum lines, found a couple of other places that would have eventually caused an issue.

The second issue might be the throw out bearing is tired. The vacuum leak is pretty easy to track down. I went ahead and replaced the bearing which fixed the other noise issue.

· Registered
789 Posts
If the noise changes as you press the clutch, it may point towards the throwout bearing.

· Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Located and fixxed the problem, Loose bell housing bolts.Now I not sure if I should pull it off to check for damage or go for a run and hope nothing was damaged inside?

· Registered
4,498 Posts
glad it was just bolts, and hopefully not real loose.
clean the area and put a dab of fingernail polish at a point on the bolt and where it meets the housing, this way if she works loose a good eye can pic up any change in the head of the bolt location. i used my daughters flouresant green nail paint :evil:works on chiggers too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.