Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2002 hydroboost PS/PB setup. I set my caster to a maximum obtainable 5.5* with the Fastrax tool. To obtain this I shortened the rear part of the UCA as much as possible and set the camber to -.5* with the front part of the UCA. Toe-in is 1/16". Ride height is 4.25" front and 4.5" rear.

I took her out yesterday and noted the car DOES self center but not as fast or forcefully as either of my daily driver minivans. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Greg

·
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt,

Lets hear from power steering users.

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Greg sounds normal. Mine will want to return to center if making slight turns but not from a sharp or full lock turn like daily driver will.
Probally due to the short wheel base,tall tires,and steering geometry. The more caster,the more return to center "force" you would have. But only so much caster can be dialed in. Having more then the recommended 3* is one of the adjustments done to take out the "twitchyness"of power steering along with adding driver input effort at steering wheel to make car turn. On a light short wheel base car it takes little effort,so we increase it by useing more caster. Also the power rack and power steering pump by way of how they work will cover up or deaden some of the natural return to center of the wheels. What you notice is normal.

·
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts