Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What solutions did the smart folks out there come up with if you wanted some more protection than the alum between your butt and the driveshaft/u-joint? I ran through the gears on the stands today without the tranny tunnel cover on and got spooked by what I saw. Did a search but came up empty.

I'm thinking even if you use a hoop, little pieces could still be breaking off at a high rate of speed.

I'm thinking a couple pieces of steel on each side of the tunnel will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I purchase bolted and welded a drive-shaft hoop from Summit Racing. Well worth the $25 and my labor. I too have a TKO-600 and would not risk it. You can add/weld more cross members at that pointto the tranny tunnel (if you still did not feel safe). It should be okay though. Just my 2 cents. How much HP do you have?

-Kouros

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I had a friend who makes race cars for a living make me a nice loop that bolts in with 4 bolts...effective and cheap.
If I knew how I would post pics!

Took him about 40 minutes to make and is very nice looking...way better than off the shelf stuff

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
John

Search back for drive shaft loop. There are a couple of different ones, and different ways to attach them - I think the approachs are more depending on your skills and tool set. If you want to see the results of a U joint - search back in the 03-04 archives. Really does chew up the aluminum pretty good.

IMHO - one really should be on every build.

A word of caution to all those that are putting one in - the drive shaft is not in the center between the to 4" tubes. Wait till you have a drive shaft to measure from. :D Center the loop on the drive shaft.

·
Junior Charter Member
835 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts