Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to weigh the P&C of the '87-'93 vs. '94-'04 donor car. I've concidered the ages w/wear and tear of the two. What I'm looking for is the funtionality of the two different set ups, ie. I've read that you can't run deep reverese rim set ups on the rear with the 87-93. Is this true? Also what donor parts are going to need to be replaced immediatly, ie. rotors, brake pads, negative battery cable, O2 sensor, upper & lower radiator hose, etc. What are the benefits of running FI over Carb.? I'd like to hear your likes and dislikes.
Pa
trick

·
4,494 Posts
EFI is the way to go in my opinion. I used to have carb hotrods, what a pain, never ran well on the street. EFI starts everytime, manages everything and gives just as much HP as Carb.

Donor parts to replace, assuming you go 88-93. If engine is over 80 K miles but runs well:
Timing chain and gears
Water pump
Stock oil pump (depending on what the donor shows for oil pressure)
Rotors, calipers & pads
Front wheel bearings (maybe)
O2 sensors
Hoses
Dist cap, rotor, wires, plugs
Radiator (maybe)
Injectors (maybe)
Clutch, pressure plate & TO bearing
Fuel pump & filter

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I have to vote with Bill on this....Also , if you're looking for the simplest overall build , the 87-93 will be it...In addition , the 5litre engine is most like the race-winning 289 , in power to weight and looks. Carburetor look-a-likes , are now available in EFI from Quality Roadsters , on this site.

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
New Donor = New Parts = new and different challenges

Simplest solution = 5.0 donor

Most cost effective = a low mile donor, new or old.

Good luck and enjoy, either way you'll have a great time building and it will be as unique as you want it to be.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
95 Rearend is too wide so if you like deep dish plan on spending some big $$$. The computer is not desirable either compared to 93. If you like disk brakes do the conversion, you'd be better off.

My 2 cents.

-Kouros

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,033 Posts
89-92 is the best. 1993 is not a forged piston motor but is the next in line. The next best is 87-88 but they are not mass air (can be converted). The 94 95 donors work but not as easy. You have to narrow the rear for a deep dish wheel.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
I checked the FAQs and didn't see one about this subject. I've seen it come up several times lately. Anyone out there want to write a fairly comprehensive "what to look for"/"what year to get" kind of FAQ? I think it would be a nice addition. Getting a good set of years to avoid, parts that might be worn out, leaks to look out for, etc, could save a lot of repetition.

·
Senior Charter Member
692 Posts
I'm a bit confused. What is the difference in the rear end width on a 94-95? Ford Motorsport shows them all the same width from 86-98 being 58.75" wide for a Mustang.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at a Supercharged '98 Mustang Cobra SVT 29,900 miles on it for $3000.00 is it worth my time and money?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know where to find spec sheets on every year of Mustang from 1987 on up? Also looking for exploded diagram of chassis & suspension system.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Kouros;
The computer is not desirable either compared to 93.
Can you elaborate?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts