Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I confess to everyone I forgot to put the rear main seal in. No leak! Amazing. Lol

Seal
Fly
Clutch

Are in to spec.

I tried to put the transmission on but I could not get to slip I'm with me and my 13 yrs old my friend going to loan me a transmission lift to make sure I'm all aligned.

For now the front end begins. March and LMR and Jegs sent me all I need to finish. I wanted black but all the had was clear so. Bright and shiny it is.

Jasom

Attachments

·
Well Used Member
220 Posts
Did you use a pilot shaft when installing your clutch? If not, that might be your problem.
Is that "Pilot Bearing"?

I think it's in those pic's, but I'm not savvy enough to know for sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Alignment tool/ shaft, pilot shaft, etc is what I was referring too.
If you put the trans in gear and slip a yoke or drive shaft on the out put shaft, turning the gears might help align the splines, as you go forward.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alignment tool/ shaft, pilot shaft, etc is what I was referring too.
If you put the trans in gear and slip a yoke or drive shaft on the out put shaft, turning the gears might help align the splines, as you go forward.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Yes think it was just simply turning the gears

·
Premium Member
17,740 Posts
I tried to put the transmission on but I could not get to slip I'm with me and my 13 yrs old my friend going to loan me a transmission lift to make sure I'm all aligned.

Jasom
If the transmission is tilted or canted even a couple of degrees, you'll have trouble getting connected.

Get a couple of 7/16" x3" bolts. Cut the heads off, and cut a screwdriver slot on the end. Put those bolts into the bottom of bellhousing. Use them as alignment pins. Slide the trans onto the pins, and then it will easily go together.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, and “slide easily” is the name of the game and super important. You don’t want to pull/force them together with the bolts because any forced misalignment during assembly translates down the crank and can damage the thrust bearings.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Jasom
If the transmission is tilted or canted even a couple of degrees, you'll have trouble getting connected.

Get a couple of 7/16" x3" bolts. Cut the heads off, and cut a screwdriver slot on the end. Put those bolts into the bottom of bellhousing. Use them as alignment pins. Slide the trans onto the pins, and then it will easily go together.
Thank you I will

·
6,559 Posts
How far are you getting the transmission to go on? IF its the last 1/2 inch or so, just engage the clutch slightly and it should slide right in assuming you have it leveled correctly in clutch is centered with shaft tool.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,852 Posts
Another trick, if it won't go in that last half inch, is to use a C-clamp and disengage the clutch.

Edit: Oh, I see Todd beat me to it...by a couple hours. I must not have scrolled all the way down.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I m back trying to get this TKO 600 on the SBF.

I showed Mike Forte he said everything looks good.

Just like you guys said he said: Engage the clutch with a clamp, use a jack, and the drive shaft if need be to help align.

I believe I have done all this and nothing. It 100% likely I did not do all the tips right. I will keep trying. Little league baseball going to take up the rest of the evening.

Jason

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,740 Posts
The alignment tool should slip in and out with just the lightest finger pressure. When it does that, you know the clutch disc is properly aligned.

If the trans does not easily slide back in, then consider that you might have the wrong input shaft, or the wrong pilot bearing. Did that engine and trans come together as one un it? Or are they from different sources? What all have you changed?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The alignment tool should slip in and out with just the lightest finger pressure. When it does that, you know the clutch disc is properly aligned.

If the trans does not easily slide back in, then consider that you might have the wrong input shaft, or the wrong pilot bearing. Did that engine and trans come together as one un it? Or are they from different sources? What all have you changed?
Yeah I hear you.

The alignment tool goes in and out easily.

I built the engine.

I bought a transmission package from Forte n.v. l, including pilot bearing and had the input shaft on the transmission. I trust him. Everything I needed from him including pilot bearing.

Jason

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I just went through this exact problem when i reinstalled my engine. FWIW, I have never had any success with the alignment tool approach. I just don't seem to have the "touch" to get it perfect and if it isn't perfect, the shaft won't slide into the pilot bearing. I have tried the "C Clamp" approach but have always had trouble getting it tight enough without falling off.

Here is what I do to get around the problem:

I bought some threaded rod from Home Depot along with a couple of washers and nuts. I run the rod through the space where the typical clutch cable goes and attach one end to the clutch lever. On the other side of the block I place a large washer and a nut. Next, I position the transmission as far in as it can go making sure that the throwout bearing is sitting properly and that the shaft has engaged the clutch (I make sure it is in gear, reach to the back and turn the driveshaft while pushing the transmission as far in as it will go). Now, I start to tighten that nut until the clutch releases. If you keep one hand on the transmission you will feel when it has some movement.

Now that the clutch is released, i reposition myself back at the transmission and gently move it around while pushing it in on the jack until it seats fully into the pilot bearing. I then bolt it up tight before I start to back the bolt off that is holding the clutch.

I have used this approach 4 times now and it works perfectly. In my case I have an older version of the Forte hydraulic clutch so I can't use a bolt to connect to the clutch fork so instead, I use an eye bolt to connect to the clutch fork and then tie it into the threaded rod with a coupling bolt.

HTH
Todd

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all tour input.

I took it apart. There was some blue plastic protector I did not remove causing a lip. I removed it.

Test fitted the end. No problem.

It took me a couple times but I got the teeth lined up and it went right in.my dolly broke. Oh well. Tomorrow I will put in the car

Thank you

Jason

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts