Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on several projects around the house, including the finishing of my basement. I use Microsoft Project at work, and think that these projects could benefit from some project management. I do not want to drop $500 on Microsoft Project. Can anyone recommend a decent package that is a little more reasonable.

Tom

·
Registered
554 Posts
I frequently use Excel to keep a running lists of Tasks around the house, with Estimates and Actuals and Dates. This usually suffices for home usage.

Each Worksheet is a Project
Each Row on each Worksheet is a Task
..yada, yada, yada...

Reactions: HashTrend

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Excel and some thought? I don't in ANY way mean to be rude or sarcastic. I have been a program manager for a long time and I think MSProject is way overkill for just about anyting. I have switched to using Excel and my customers are grateful. I could send you a sample of what I use. PM me if you want.

I think there was a program called "timeline" that was inexpensive.

·
Husband, Father, Bonehead
944 Posts
I like the Excel route. If you are looking for something with a little more user friendly front end, Access.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
MSProject is overkill? Try running a $5-100 million dollar construction project with it - it's waaay UNDERkill. We use, for scheduling, a program called Primavera Project Planner - something like $4k per copy. For project management, we use a program called Expedition - a steal at $2500 per copy. Both might be a little bit of overkill for your home projects, though... :D :D

Another thought is that if you're using Outlook for your e-mail, there's a pretty good task manager built in. I use it for my day-to-day stuff. I'm pretty sure they call it "task manager".

All the best,
Tag

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
I used to project manage multi million dollar builds via a scratch pad and Excel:) Of course once I had built the thing once, I have very few changes to the next.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts