Factory Five Racing Forum banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Little more progress, bolted in the roll bar and and Russ Thompson's grommets. They worked great. Put in the latch bolt for the trunks lid and laid in the trunk seal. Lastly I replaced the steering wheel with the leather one and put in the center cap. Tomorrow; taillights, fuel filler and possibly the side pipes.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Jorge....Man, you're lookin' good!! Love the dash, wish I'd gone with traditional gauges...Nice going...

Bob

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Jorge

Your car is looking great. You're almost there.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
More progress

More progress today into tonight. Taillights in and working, fuel filler in and connected to fuel tank tube, side gills installed and last but not least, my side pipes are on! I had an issue with th DS pipe where the hanger didn't quite reach. I had to drill a new hole for the rubber hanger and had use a little persuasion to raise the inboard end high enough to be able to drill thru the frame cross-member. Got it done. Also, for the detail oriented, I got this idea from someone else. I pushed a 1/4" diameter plastic tube into the groove at the top of the windshield to give it a more finished look. I like it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Aluminum Progress

Aluminum progress and more drilling!:( Fitted and painted the radiator aluminum. Mesh in brake ducts, fitted all the elephant ears and left at powder coater's. Tonight I did the door sills. Need to find a slow setting glue so I can fit the carpet to the sills. More to come.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Looking good

I'm a couple of months behind you. Keep up the great work. Are you driving yet?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Jorge, it's looking great! I've got to bring the wife by, can't wait to see it with the panels on!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I'm a couple of months behind you. Keep up the great work. Are you driving yet?
Yea! I've put a few miles on it(albeit without the doors, hood or trunk lid or tag) and have loved every second, The 349HP 302 is plenty. I've still got to perfect my driving technique to get a little smoother. In due time. :clap:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Looks fantastic, I really like the solid color, and those wheels and tires fit the car perfectly.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Mounted my hood(waiting on scoop), wind wings and Peep mirrors. Also finished the carpet for the door sills. I was a bit skeptical about those skinny pieces of carpet, but it came out OK.

[

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I have a trunk lid!!

Trunk lid is finally on. Tomorrow I'll wire up the light and am waiting for my painter to do the inside panel. Then it'll be done.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Wow, Jorge!

This is the very first time I have seen this thread. I read every singe word you wrote and looked at every single picture. I really felt like I was building along with you. Your intent of showing subtle differences with the MK4 were very well met. Not only that, I had no idea how far the thread would go when I started reading, it goes almost all the way to the end!

If I had one wish, it would be that some “909 Bro” with a monster-truck accidentally runs over my car in a parking lot, and that I could get $40K from the insurance and start over with a fresh MK4.

Just a tip, you seem to like black, the leather parts of the seatbelts are removable, and they take black dye very well. If it’s been handled and has shiny parts from the oil on your fingers, hit them with 320 sandpaper before you dye them.

I can’t wait to see the graduation post!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
OH, getting so close!

So close I can taste it. After spending some time helping my friend Leo with his MK3 I came some and attached my hood scoop. I went with button head screws and acorn nuts. I then installed my "elephant ears". I had them powder coated and I sprayed some rubberized undercoating on the side facing the tires. Now just waiting for my doors and I can start wringing this baby out!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
I'm going to end up modifying the tag a bit. Here's a pic of what I did to the tag. You can barely tell once it's mounted.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow!

Jorge-

The car looks GREAT, and your build pace was incredible! Well done; a true inspiration! You did a wonderful job at a blistering pace, and I really admire your work--- a sincere WELL DONE!!

Reegards,

Steve

She looks beautiful!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Thanks guys. Yea Adrian, it seems to be bad. Even after running a separate ground and checking it right at the alternator, still no juice. Ran it up to 3,00rpm and nothing. Hoping the new one works. Tough to have the car sitting there and can't use it.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts