Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted any progress photos up to this point, but I'm pleased with my progress. I'm only posting a few pictures and maybe this will help in spotting the subtle differences between the MK 4 and the 3.1.

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Interesting, the X-member is round now?

The square stock was really handy -- lots of surface to mount things on ...

Also ... I wonder why the front of the trunk space is a flat panel now?

·
Not a waxer
12,040 Posts
Nice work Jorge!

The battery sits on that flat plate in the trunk.
Have you given any thought to locating it below the upper trunk floor? Mine is a Mk 3 of course but unless the photo is decieving it appears your Mk 4 has at least that much room in the same area.

At this point it looks like you'd need to reroute that brake line but having the extra trunk space might make it worth the effort.

Keep up the good work and updates!

Jeff

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A little more progress. The metal is in from the trunk forward.
Will start the wiring tomorrow. Still waiting on the engine/trans from Forte's. Coming along.

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Did you order the shelby aluminum big block that Forte had for sale? I looked at that one long and hard. I am waiting on my motor from him too. Pics look awesome. Amazing how dramatic the car looks with black powder coated panels.

Rob

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, just 302/340H.P. There apparently has been a bit of a backlog from Ford. It's OK though, at least it hasn't been taking up space in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Looking good Jorge, I really like the black powdercoated panels...next build. One subtle difference between my 3.1 and and your 4 is how clean your garage is staying....:001_smile:

Hope you get the motor soon!

Dave

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
No, just 302/340H.P. There apparently has been a bit of a backlog from Ford. It's OK though, at least it hasn't been taking up space in the garage.
I was thinking about ordering the same engine. Do you know how long the B/O wait is?

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
I talked to Mike today and I bet your motor arrived today. He said he just got a 302 from Ford today that was on back order since January.

Rob

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always clean it when I'm done. My dog sleeps in the garage and I don't want him in anything nasty. And yep, got an email from Mike that it's here!!:clap:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More progress; brake and fuel lines run. Bled brakes, NO LEAKS!! Installed rear aluminum. I did it in silver in case I don't carpet it right away, looks more like aluminum, but still protected. Steering column from Russ Thompson in temporarily and started wiring it up.

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Just an FYI the trunk lid is next to impossible to install with all the trunk panels riveted in. The adjustment bolts on the concealed hinges are a bear to get right when you can't reach in to tighten them. You need to lock mini-me in the trunk to tighten the bolts when you get it set. Otherwise every time you open it to tighten the bolts it moves a little and you start over.

Otherwise the build looks awesome.

Rob

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Otis for the heads up. I'm going according to the manual, hope I didn't build myself into a corner. Here's a shot of some wiring I did after the aluminum install. Wired it based on the schematic on MK3build.com. I hope I did it right, I would hate to have to take this apart. Right now it's all held in place with double sided tape till I'm sure this is where it's all going to stay.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I also love the black panels with silver rivets. If you do have to remove the trunk aluminum, maybe replace rivets with black one to contrast the front. Just an idea.

Are you planning on going naked in the cabin, i.e. no carpet?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts