Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Sure can. I posted photos when I did it years ago but no idea if still accessible.

Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Another question for you Marc. Did you use the F5 supplied electric fan? I've notice that the fan mounting holes on your piece look different then the Breeze item which I included a picture of their current offering of here. Or did they change their item or was that just part of your mods? Thanks again, John. Oh, by the way, I've notice we are closing in on 900 views here so it must be a concern others have as well.

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
I used the F5 fan supplied at the time. I’m not sure if there is a newer fan offered by F5 now that has different mounting pattern.

Marc

·
Snake Farmer
10,241 Posts
The stock thermostat on a 90 GT 5.0 engine, was rated at 192*. That was for the EFI set up, but even with a carb, 190+ is fine. I would think a running temp you mention, of 165* is actually to low.

Your coolant fan should kick in automatically, at a pre-set temp, to prevent overheating, I wouldn't use the manual switch, unless temps continued to climb up and up, and the fan didn't kick in on it's own. That could happen if the sending unit was not grounded properly, or it was on the fritz.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only time mine will get up around 210 is stop and go traffic, or just coming off the freeway (90 or so) and coming to a stop. It takes a few minutes to "recover" but never really goes over 210. All the other times its right at the thermostat setting, both oil and water run 190.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Building a custom fan shroud is as easy as bending poster paper. If you can make fiberglass parts, trust me you will be a master at forming Aluminum. If your willing to try, send me your address and I will send step by step instructions. About $25.00 in parts and a couple hours will produce a shroud that is custom to your Ride. Unlike me, you have the ability to post pictures on this form ( I'm old and computer impaired) Follow the instructions while taking pictures, than share with the rest of the Form!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I used to get this same overheating problem too. I was about to get the shroud, but then got sidetracked by another project; I replaced my Holley 650 DP with a Holley Sniper EFI. Ever since then, never had the overheating problem again, so haven’t bothered to get a shroud. With all of its sensors, I guess the computer just keeps adjusting the mixture, timing, etc, which seems to keep the engine temp in check, even when stuck in stand-still traffic and a/c running. That being said, my engine is just a 302 ci, 340 bhp.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts