Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my gas tank today and tipped it about 45 degrees and I hear something move inside.

After closer inspection it appears there is a tray inside that has been broken loose from the spot welds.

Can anyone tell me what the tray does and if I need to do anything about this?

Can I do anything or do I need a new gas tank?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am not sure what might be loose in the tank, maybe a baffle, but if your tank is rusty at all, I would get a new one. They are available for a little over a hundred bucks.

Tanner

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Is it broken on both ends of the baffel. I bought one that only one end was broken (EBAY)
I was able to fix it by drilling through and capturing it with a long 3/16 Rivit and then soldering the rivit on the outside. Then I sealed the tank with a product from POR-15.

If I had know how cheap tanks were I would have bought a new one.
Also, this is a common problem with Mustangs
Hope this helps

Dennis

·
Planning & Saving
601 Posts
Redman,

I got a new replacement tank at Autozone for around $125. I would plug a sponser of the site, but I don't know of any that sell tanks. You need the baffle around the fuel pick-up in the tank or else you may get fuel starvation in sweeping right hand turns whenyou have less than half a tank full. I've heard of people just holding the baffle in place by carefully sticking the fuel pump back into the middle of it, the baffle will still move around some.

I suggest replacing it. You don't want that piece of metal ramming into the feul sender in the tank while you're are doing some spirited driving. You'll lose the use of the fuel guage. (Don't ask me how I know that.) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as luck would have it Need For Speed AKA cobraheat.com is sending me his tank.

Thanks NFS!!

This is why I love this forum. Got a problem, no problem. We got answers. Right here at ffcars.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts