Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question with my Classic gages. The water temp seems to climb way too high way too fast. The gage pegs the hot limit way before the fan turns on - sensed by another sender. On the other hand, the oil temp gage hardly comes off the low peg. I checked with the factory to see if I had the senders swapped and they said I had them in the correct places.

Anyone else have this problem?

Solutions?

Thanks,

Tom

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
The water temp will come up a lot quicker than the oil temp, but not to the peg.. Try sticking a thermometer in the radiator cap opening to see the actual temp. Also, what temp thermostat do you have installed and where is the temp senor for the fan located. I've seen fan temp senors that mount to the radiator fins. With that type, the fan will never come on if the thermostat is stuck in the closed position.

[ October 14, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: PAB ]

·
Charter Member
97 Posts
Are you using the CLassic temp sender or the Ford one? Sometimes it makes a difference.

I had some problem with that with the Stewart Warner set that I put in the car.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The senders are from Classic. The water temp sender from Ford had the same problem. The fan sender is tapped into the thermostat housing and not the strap on type.

·
Registered
28 Posts
make sure you are not using any thread sealant.
this will change the resistance to ground.Brass threads do not require sealant. I installed my classics per man. rec's.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
I've got the classics and the temp's work accurately. I took classic's oil sender and put it in the oil filter relocator which screws to the block. The coolant sensor of course replaces the mustang coolant sender.

I'd start the car, have it warm up and wait for the thermostat to open. When it does (you'll feel the hose to the rad heat up quick, the temp should come down about 10 degrees (for a minute or so) as the cold water starts circulating from the rad, into the engine. If you're pegged, the thermo opens, and the gauge still does not come down, I'd say they sent you the wrong sender. Of course if the temp gauge is reading correctly and you're really getting that hot, you might warp your block :rolleyes:

If you know someone with an infra red temp gun, that would be perfect. Run the engine, and see and hit a few spots around the sender and on the Al tube you put going to the radiator. The temp should be close to what your gauge is reading.

For the oil, kinda the same thing. Regardless though, the oil sender after driving a while should get to at least 160-170 regardless of the thermostat you're using.

Good luck and keep up informed.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Originally posted by FlashGordon:
The senders are from Classic. The water temp sender from Ford had the same problem.
If you had the same problem with another sender, it's probably not the sender. Are you sure your thermostat is working? Is all the air out of the cooling system? Is the bypass hose installed? Have you tested the fan thermostat to see what the fan-on temp is? Do you have the correct rotation water pump?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow Oldguy, that's a lot of questions so early in the morning. I guess I have to do my homework. I have the stock water pump so I assume correct rotation. Not so sure that I have all the air out as I still am adding water. I don't have the other answers, but I'll check this weekend. BTW, what's the bypass hose?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts