Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to raise my rear ride height which is currently at 3.5 inches. I've got the FFR lower control arms and stock uppers. I've detached the cables that limit downward axle travel and jacked the car up by the frame enabling the axle to droop. The problem is that the axle won't go any lower to allow me to crank the stock coil springs downward. I've even torqued on it with a five foot pry bar with little result. It appears that the axle's downward travel is limited by "stops" on the rear axle casting where the upper stock control arms are mounted. Do I have to remove the upper control arms to crank the springs down and if I do, can I then get everything back together with weight on the rear to compress the springs? Is there some simpler way to do this with stock springs? Any help is appreciated.

David H.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
607 Posts
Did you remove the shock from the bottom mount?

I found that one side will drop further if you leave everything hooked up on the other side. After the shock and safety cable is unhooked on one side, I use a small bottle jack between the rear axle housing and the chasis and jack it open another inch or so.

I'm running stock donor uppers and lowers, so yours may be different.

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David Ward thanks for the suggestions. I did remove the bottom shock bolt, but didn't gain anything. I 'll carefully try the bottle jack idea and see if I get more room.

-David H.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
What I did when I had the spring setup was to use some outside spring compressors..Compress the spring then turn. You won't be able to turn it much..just expand the compressor and move it re-compress...keep going 'til the ride height has been acheived.

It's a pain but it works.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Following is BY FAR the easiest method I've found to adjust the rear ride height. I can do mine in about 20-30 minutes total. Thanks to Don Gaboury for showing me the light...

1. jack up car and support using jackstands under the FRAME (not the rear axle)
2. let the rear axle hang by the limiting straps
3. place a floor jack under the REAR of the lower control arm, just enough to take a little pressure off
4. remove rear lower control arm bolt and lower the floor jack so the control arm drops enough to let the spring turn freely.
5. adjust spring how ever many turns you think it needs
6. raise the rear control arm back into place with the floor jack
7. you might need to use a drift or screw-driver to align the holes
8. re-install lower control arm bolt
9. repeat for other side

Thats it! Easy! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, all good suggestions, but Wade's sounds the best, though I'll certainly be careful with a loaded spring. Thanks again all!

David H.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts