Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on Probe SRS pistons? I have heard that some people have had some quality and durablility issues with them.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
After hearing good things for over two years I chose them from my 347 build.

If you are building a 347 make sure you get the 10666 series that uses the shorter 5.315" rod.

If your building a 331 then you will also use the 10666 but you'll use the 5.4" rod with the shorter stroke.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Dan's got the skinney right. I used them in my 347 build with the 5.315 rod. My Ford builder was extremely impressed when I showed up with them for block work and balancing. They are apparently becoming very popular in the local racing circuit.

The 10666 and 5.315 rod move the wrist pin down and away from the oil ring, which solves the issue of oil smoke and burn most 347 builds experience.

Here's to good friends and dancing with snakes.

·
Charter Member
141 Posts
Duck Hunter,
I have four really close friends running the same pistons in their mustangs. They run consistent 10 & 11 second 1/4 times with no problems. I just bought a set of the 5.315 20 cc dished Probes for my low compression shortblock. I plan to run 18 psi boost with 100 octane and water/methanol injection. I too hope that they'll hold up. Good Luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, That makes me feel a lot better. Just to let you know, I am building a 385. A 351W .040 overbore with a 3.75 Eagle 4340 crank, Eagle H Beam ESP 6.25 rods. The only piston I could find to keep my CR around 10.0:1 was the probe 1.35 CH with a 19 CC dish. I really didn't want to open up the cumbustion chamber to get the compression down to use the 5 cc SRP or JE etc pistons. Everything should work pretty well. I should have a really tong bottom end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.