Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:
I noticed on the head gaskets, the holes along cylinder water jacket areas are much larger than the gasket holes; here's a couple of picutres for comparison:

It would almost seem like a good idea to enlarge them for better flow; any suggestions or comments? Will they work fine if left alone or should I attempt to at least enlarge the hole a bit more? TIA.

·
1,595 Posts
Notice the bottom row, the holes get larger as you go to the rear of the engine. That is to insure that you get more even cooling of the block. That is why Ford head gaskets have a front printed on them.

Bill G

·
4,494 Posts
Above two responses are correct. Engine manufacturers use gasket hole size and position to move the coolant volume required through each section of the head. As the coolant moves through the head it picks up the heat, therefore more coolant is needed in some areas than other, particularly at the end of the flow path than where it enters to heads.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,177 Posts
Keep the holes as they are.It restricts the water flow so the heat is absorbed by the coolant.If you open the holes ,the coolant passes by too fast to do any cooling.Same goes with thermostats,some guys remove them and can't figure out why the engines get hotter.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all. I figured there had to be a good explanaion, otherwise I think Fel-Pro would of opened them up. I'll let them be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.