Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have the Coil-Over Pro-Shocks that came with my MKII. Amazing but true, and they have served well, but with my new suspension set up put in last year, and the maniacal cornering abilities I now have when running slicks, I now need some adjustable shocks to really set the car up. This Winter, off they go. Only about 24,000 miles on them, but very hard miles.

First off, I am looking for the part numbers of these original shocks. I have one number, ASB5S7B (I think). I know the FFR shocks were specifically valved for FFR, and not available on the open market. As well, I think the fronts were 5" travel, and the rears 7", but need that verified. Also, they are known as "Small Body"?

So, once I have the basic information, I am then looking to replace these old shocks with new ones, either single or dual adjustable. So, I am looking for recomendations and matching cross reference.

Now, before you quickly start typing away like a tempest, two additional factors:

1. I JUST NEED SHOCKS. NO complete package with springs. My car has a race set-up I like, and am JUST replacing the shocks. I will call Mark reynolds and ask about shocks only. Mark is great, and I will look at that avenue.

2. NO KONI'S. Iknow they are great shocks, blah blah, blah, I just do not want them. Simple. No. Do not suggest them.

So what other shocks have you used and have direct experience with? Costs? Where purchased? I'm looking for a rugged set, as I run my car hard.

And, yes, if you have a correct set of four, lightly used, PM me.

Time to go even faster around the corners........

Thanks!

Dan

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doing some more research, I am finding other brands listing with compressed and extended lengths. Can anyone correlate?

7,201 Posts
Dan,

Since you like Pro-Shocks, have you looked at their selection of racing shocks? I'm still running my Pro-Shocks on our MK-II also. Haven't seen the need to replace them.

Ray

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray,

I did look at them, and a possibility, though pricey.

One of the reasons to change is to be able to adjust the shocks, so I can "dial in" better for the track. I want to be able to set the compression and rebound based on how the car feels.

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
The backs were ASB735B back in the day. We did a few group purchases through Pro-Shock and thats the number they gave me. They are still on the back of my MK1 although I am about to upgrade to Konis. Already switched the fronts to Konis so my old front shocks are available if you just want some lower mileage ones! Here are the specifics of my front ones. The springs were 2.5" ID 10" tall and the overall length of the shock extended with the 5/8" spacer to clear FFR arms is 15-1/2" and collapsed is about 11-5/8" with the same spacer giving you about 4" of travel. The OD of the body, not where the threads are is 1-5/8" and the body itself is about 9" from the top of the shock where the piston goes in to the center of the bottom bolt eye (heim). If you need any other measurements I can take them for you. Hope this helps!

Mike
ps. I think Breeze has the best bang for the buck with his adjustable coilovers.

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike!

· FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
When I was buying some shocks for my Camaro, the guys at QA1 were helpful on the phone. Maybe give them a call and explain what your setup is and see if they have any advice. Since you know the shocks you have work, just measure the compressed & extended length of each set too.

I think you'd need to be specific about the weight and weight distribution of your car and details on the springs you want to keep.

· Registered
589 Posts
In looking through some old notes my info is that the front ProShocks were ASB546B and the rear were ASB735B.

Not sure where I got that but I think it came from a very old thread.

I was always going to call ProShocks and try to verify these numbers but never did. FYI, I have their number in GA as 770-995-6300 and again it's from my old notes.

We have just over 50,000 miles on our car with the original ProShocks and as far as I know they still work fine.

Good Luck!

Bob Jones
Raleigh, NC

· FFCobra Craftsman
25,999 Posts
I would just order the DA shocks from Breeze. Why not support a vender rather than trying to find another source for the same thing. I have Koni DAs and would love to be able to adjust bump w/ a knob. I just did it this Am and it takes about an hour to adj bump on each end of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.