Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got on the road last week. I have 100 miles on the car. I was putting it on jackstands today to fix a differential leak, and while I was jacking it up I heard a thud from the front passenger's side wheel and the wheel dropped. The rod on the Pro Shock had come unscrewed from the valve inside the body of the shock. There is no evidence of binding anywhere on or around the shock. I've heard of this happening to someone else on the forum. Here are some pictures of the broken shock:

As you can see, I had the spacers in the correct orientation.

I also had the top and bottom zip tied to the perches correctly.

Here is a picture of the shock rod. It is not bent. The top two threads are sheared off, so the rod must have loosened and then stripped off the last two threads when it popped out.

Here are a couple pics of the driver's side shock, which is still working fine (so far) so you can see how they were installed.

As you can see, plenty of clearance between the upper control arm:

Needless to say, I'm a little unnerved, and I'm not too excited about putting Pro Shocks back on my car. I really can't afford the high-end racing shocks like the Konis. What should I do? Will Factory Five replace my front coilovers with the new Bilsteins?

·
15,282 Posts
Try pinging 2FAST4U. I believe he had significant problems with the ProShocks on his car?

Cheers, John

·
5,042 Posts
I think we ALL need resolution on this issue. I have pro shocks too and don't want this sort of failure while driving. The results could be fatal !!

Maybe there has been a quality lapse and a recall is needed?

·
6,559 Posts
Are there any mods/spacers/adapters needed for them sweet Konis or are they plug n' play? I'm getting a wee bit tired of running around getting special adapters/hoses/fittings, etc. for so called "custom" replacement parts for these cars.

·
6,546 Posts
There have been quite a few variations of the front lower "A" arms sold by FFR. Catch up with Gordon and he'll tell you if you need mods or not for the front. Some will, some won't with the shocks like mine (pictured above). I know that Gordon has had the design revised or is working on revising the design so they will clear ALL A-Arms.

The clearance job on mine was ultra simple, just some clearance work on the A-arm.

No "zip ties" are used to hold the spring.

Mine (pictured) are single adjustables.

Fronts Installed:

The rear shocks require a mounting point to be either bolted on or welded on (or both) to the inside of the 2x3"

Koni makes a shock that goes in the FFR location but they're a gajillion bucks apiece. (over $850 if memory serves).

Gordon will tell you what you have to do (or not do) to get any of his parts to work.

He's been very honest to deal with and very open.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Look to the local racing crowd. You should be able to find a shock dealer that rebuilds shocks. Here in the Central valley of California. A bent shaft Proshock rebuild is $95.00 including new shaft. A basic rebuild is $65.00 per shock...

Luck

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Call Proshocks and send it back, and they will cheerfully fix it for free.

This happened to one of mine, and to TWO of Greg W's (I have photos of all somewhere.) The rod is locktited into the piston, and apparently some were not locktited very well.

When I called, Proshocks was very nice on the phone, but they didn't recall ever hearing of this problem before. Greg's popped before mine, but he went out and bought new, larger shocks.

Forrest

·
Senior Charter Member
190 Posts
3657:

Check your email.

Thanks

Steve Dutton
Factory FIve Racing

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't go wrong with FFR. Since this is a problem with Pro Shocks, and not FFR, I thought about just dealing straight with Pro Shock. But since this is also a safety concern, I used the hotline, and it works great!

I'm going to just replace the shock now, and buy a set of something else (probably Bilsteins from FFR) when the wallet recovers. I feel like I'm gambling a little, but the fact that there are sooooo many Pro Shock-equipped cars out there with no problems puts me at ease.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,803 Posts
Hey Bill, I think you have the springs on the wrong shocks. The 500# goes in the front and the 300# goes in the rear on your car.

·
6,546 Posts
Originally posted by Gordon Levy:
Hey Bill, I think you have the springs on the wrong shocks. The 500# goes in the front and the 300# goes in the rear on your car.
LOL!

Good thing I saved mounting the rear shocks for this weekend. :D

Ok. 500's on the front 300's in the back.

:eek: :D

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Cobra3657,

Scary looking shock failure. I am about
to buy a set of Pro Shock rears and may
re think that plan.

Where did you get the new upper arm bolts?

I really need a set, but am reluctant to spend
the $10.00 each..

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Originally posted by Rickster:
How do you tell the diffrence between the 500# and 300# by looking at them?
the little white letters on the spring that say "300" , maybe?

:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts