Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got some time to have my passenger side exhaust pipe adjusted today. So far, took out all the rattles from that area. BUT, as the mechanic had the car up on the lift he almost had a fit, while looking for the source of more rattles, he found that the Pro Shock shaft sheared off down at the heim joint, just above where the threads end. So, I need to buy a new shock or ask FFR to send me one at their price or as a replacement. This car has never been raced, never been driven hard and to my knowledge, never experienced any hard potholes. This could have cost me and any passenger our lives if it had let loose at any speed. Please, especially anyone experiencing clunking noises from under the car, please check these Pro Shocks. Has anyone else had theirs break??? I read a post where someone went spinning off the road from a front suspension problem. The coil over spring was wedged into the space under the fender. Scary as hell. Comments please. Flames if you wish, anything to get this problem properly aired. Bill Heffelfinger.

·
4,494 Posts
Was this a front shock? If so, check carefully to see if the shock mount joint may be binding on the lower control arm, particularly if you are using donor control arms. This failure had happened a number of times (I also had this happen). If using donor control arm, you need (per the manual) grind some material off the control are to provide space for swivel.

Bill

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Bill32. I will check but I am pretty sure we ordered the FFR LCA's. Did your shaft also break??? Down near the heim joint??? This is that kind of gold colored shock stamped Pro Shock which I am almost certain FFR supplies. I sent a REDLINE message and I sent an email to the Safety address. I plan to follow up on this, besides, I think I need to replace that shock, even though everyone I've ever talked to says that the weld is probably stronger than the original. Sure as hell hope so.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops forgot, yes, this was the right front shock. Have there been problems with the rear stuff also???

·
Registered
796 Posts
You may want to tell FFR about this on their "red line" found on their web site I'm pretty sure. It's just for safety related issues like this.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Can't remember who it was but he reported this same problem a few weeks ago.

·
3,886 Posts
I've seen three Proshocks where the rod came unscrewed internally from the piston (1 of mine, 2 of Greg W's), this was 2+ years ago. Proshocks was quite good about fixing them, you just have to call'em and send it back. Not sure if they'd fix a broken-of rodend, though.

Forrest

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have noted it on the REDLINE as well as the SAFETY link this forum provides. I hope FFR responds real fast. Words cannot describe the feelings I had when the mechanic pointed to the coil spring wedged between the frame and the shock. Very very emotional considering what could have happened if one of my loved ones had been in the car enjoying a ride when ka #$^%%$# boom, the coil spring came undone. Then thanking God that we found it BEFORE disaster struck. Thanks for the advice. What a great forum!!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
I had both my front Pro Shocks break in the same manner.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geeezzz, this is makin me sick. Where the blue blazes are these things coming from??? I need to check my FFR packing list, I'm pretty sure mine came from FFR. I still haven't heard from them: one email to the REDLINE, one email to the SAFETY LINK. Hmmmmmm.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
ive got a couple of take-off pro shocks from my koni upgrade. i never had a problem with them breaking. if anyone needs them PM me! ive been cleaning out my garage and can almost see the rear wall now!

james

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Is there a direct replacement for the front pro shocks? Just curious incase this becomes epidemic.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is involved with a Koni upgrade?? Maybe I should just replace BOTH of these Pro Shocks. Are Koni shocks the best, are there other choices. Now that I'm into this I probably should consider all options. Thanks for your offer, I'll wait and see what FFR has to say before I make any moves. Are the REDLINE are SAFETY LINK still operating????

·
FFR Driver
2,153 Posts
Originally posted by Bushidoman:
Geeezzz, this is makin me sick. Where the blue blazes are these things coming from??? I need to check my FFR packing list, I'm pretty sure mine came from FFR. I still haven't heard from them: one email to the REDLINE, one email to the SAFETY LINK. Hmmmmmm.
Its only been a couple of hours so since you sent the emails to a factory that may have been closed when you sent them. I would bet they don't man the Redline 24/7.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
shocks will eventually wear out, many will leak when the seals go. my car has been used hard 800+ autocross runs and driven on the street 28K miles. never had a problem with a pro-shock.

the shock sizing is not very flexible- its a little too short for most shocks. weendoggy did the legwork for the fitment of the konis. i have the 3012, double adjustable mono tube. its a very good shock, especially for the money, about $500/corner. ride comfort is excellent. the single adjustable version is cheaper and an excellent choice for a street car.

james

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dpmac and others, I am not concerned about 'FFR taking care of me', I'm also not concerned about how long it might take FFR to respond. The thing that makes me sick is the picture of that coil spring almost hanging in mid air with me going more than 30 miles an hour with my wife, my daughters, my grand daughters...... It sounds like more than a few of these things are failing. THAT'S what is making me sick. I can afford to buy a shock or two, that's not the problem. Listen to the responses I'm getting. There seems to be one hell of a lot of shocks failing.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
It has happened before and it will happen again. Are you running FFR or stock lower arms and how were the shocks mounted, if they are the wrong way, or mouted without a spacer (for early FFR lowers) they will bind and break off like that.

·
FFR Driver
2,153 Posts
Originally posted by Bushidoman:
dpmac and others, I am not concerned about 'FFR taking care of me', I'm also not concerned about how long it might take FFR to respond. The thing that makes me sick is the picture of that coil spring almost hanging in mid air with me going more than 30 miles an hour with my wife, my daughters, my grand daughters...... It sounds like more than a few of these things are failing. THAT'S what is making me sick. I can afford to buy a shock or two, that's not the problem. Listen to the responses I'm getting. There seems to be one hell of a lot of shocks failing.
Three thousand cars equals 12 thousands shocks (or so). I have re-read the above posts and don't see the "Listen to the responses I'm getting, There seems to be one hell of a lot of shocks failing." part. What am I missing here?

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Their using "Bilsteins" now, right? Wonder if you get one of those instead? Hope this is rectified real quick....hate to see you down because of a shock.....
Ben

1 - 20 of 80 Posts