Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads, thought you might enjoy these pics. Was all set to install this weekend but back East we had quite a bit of snow. No heat in the garage so I'll have to wait. Maybe next week. Enjoy, John O

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Lookin' good! Does the linkage from the gas pedal connect on the right side, or do you have the carbs on the manifold backwards? It looks like the secondarys are at the front on the manifold.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Carbs are mounted backwards as per original 427.
It looks great!
Is that the powder coated option? Where did you get that heater hose fitting?
Larry

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John - The carbs are mounted backwards as original. The gas pedal linkage will connect on the left side.

Larry - Thanks, no I just used a high temp clear. It's a little shiney, but I like it. The heater fitting I got from Mustangs Unlimited.

John O

·
Senior Charter Member
437 Posts
Great looking intake and set up.
Can't wait to see it mounted.
Make sure you post some pics.
FYI we got 9" of the white stuff with an inch of ice topping up here in central CT.

Rich

·
5,559 Posts
John,

What made you get the one with the angle cut, as opposed to the one that is milled flat (for the carb mounting bosses)? I thought I had read that they have 2 versions of this manifold, and the one that has the flat mounts was the one for Cobras.

Brian

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian,

I think the only reason to use a flat manifold would be because of hood clearance issues. I have plenty of room. A high rise or medium rise allows a more direct mixture shot at the ports as opposed to a flat manifold. The FE had a low riser but even that had a slight pitch to the rear. Frankly I've never seen a Cobra with a flat manifold. The dimensions to mine are very similar to your F-28. I think it is about 3/16 taller in the rear.

John O

[ March 18, 2007, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: jolsen42 ]

·
5,559 Posts
Thanks John. So you have already mocked it up in your car with air cleaners to check the clearance? I know what you are saying with regard to the higher rise. I'm running 1/2" phenolic spacers under the carbs on my F-28 setup, and it runs much better.

please post pics of it installed!

Brian

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
So how much did the intake cost??? Were you on the waiting list?? Also where did you get the linkage and carbs??
Thanks Russ

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Russ G, the price of the manifold is $485., the carbs I purchased from Summit.They are 465 cfm, part#0-1848-1. These are not dual quad carbs. You have to change the throttle shafts to dual quad primary and secondary shafts. These I purchased from Carls Ford Parts along with the 2x4 vacuum secondary tops. You also have to eliminate the choke from the secondary carb. The linkage I got from Mustangs Unlimited. I hope that helps.

John O

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
John, Really looks nice. I sat and looked at mine for about a hour when it came. Great quality. Can you tell us a little about your engine this is going on?

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Einar,
I'm running a 427W built by Ford Perfomance Solutions and I love it. I've had it in since 2000. I'm useing a fairly hefty cam, valve lift int/exh .520/.544, duration @ .050 234/244, stage three ported Twisted Wedge heads Ross flat top pistons, bore 40 over, stroke 4.170, and currently running a Holley Avenger 770. Attached is a pic as it sits now. Regards, John O

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
John, you do very nice work. Boy I don't know if I'd touch something that looked that good. I'm going between the 465cfm's and the 600's for mine. 427w also. At first the 600's looks a little large, but I can adjust the vacuum secondary's out some if it's a problem. But the 465's might be a better balance for light cruising. Please keep us informed as to the performance please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
John, I am wondering why you are using the 465 cfm carbs? I also bought this manifold for my 30 over 351. Were the 465 cfm carbs what came on the 289 and 302? Also why did you have to to change the throttle shafts? I am probably going to go with the 390 cfm carbs.

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Einar and Ray,
The reason that I went with the 2x4 throttle shafts is for the progresive linkage. If you look at the 4th pic you'll see the slight difference in the two levers. The linkage studs are staggered making for a smoother action. I'm not saying that you can't use the shafts that are on your carbs. It's just that they were designed like this so I'm sticking with it.

Ray,
I've got a 427W stroker and while I think 600cfm's are too big and the 390's are too small, I'm hopeing the 465's will be just right. :D :D We'll see.
regards, John O

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
John,
Did you look at the induction system Carl's has?? Pretty close on price if I ordered every thing seperate. And just bolt it on. Aso do one of the carbs have a provision for a PCV hose??
Thanks Russ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.