Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Carl's Challenge car and while it is very well tuned and setup for the track and it has a nice setup for cold air intake, etc etc. I want to "clean up" the engine bay. I see so many "pretty" engine bay setups, it's hard not to envy a bit.

Looking for some ideas/links to pretty it up.

Here's some photos of the engine bay.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Auto part

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Car Auto part

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I would start by relocating the coil to the firewall or top of the foot box. Then I'd put the wires for the TFI into some black loom & run them in the valley between the valve covers & the intake back to the coil. If you've got an air gap intake, you can run those wires under the gap, further hiding them.

John

·
Junior Charter Member
3,137 Posts
A chrome water pump, alternator, and pulleys would add "bling"...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cleaning up the wiring will do lots little bling here and there

Should have posted a much more current photo! Did some of the wiring already. Still lots to go... here's a more current photo (from about 20 minutes ago)

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like to get a nicer pulley on the water pump and a nice radiator hose. I'm going to do hood hinges (soon..) so the hood posts will be removed. I'm also thinking on the Breeze radiator shroud as that would cover up the ugly top of the radiator rack guard mesh.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
A new set of plug wires, all the same color. Replace the power steering hoses, even if they where black and routed neatly. Get rid of the white zip ties. I agree get a new radiator hose, the one's from Breeze are very nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While it's not really a cosmetic upgrade, it might be a good idea to think about upgrading that 2G alternator to a 3G. You can thank us when your car doesn't catch fire. :)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,598 Posts
While it's not really a cosmetic upgrade, it might be a good idea to think about upgrading that 2G alternator to a 3G. You can thank us when your car doesn't catch fire. :)
Or before you catch your fingers or some other loose object while the engine is running. o_O I'd put a Type II p/s pump on as well as changing the lines. Not a lot you can do with the stock EFI setup without some redirecting of wiring as mentioned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Was looking at the 3g Model referenced on Breeze's web site, following to Amazon and other vendors that all have the same thing. Inspecting the wire hookups they appear very different then what I have now. On the current alternator I have to heavy gauge wires in a molex connector that would fit 3 and then 2 small gauge wires in another molex connector. The 3g one appears to have 1 molex connector. Trying to figure out what the plan would be to do the swap. The word "fire" tends to motivate :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or before you catch your fingers or some other loose object while the engine is running. o_O I'd put a Type II p/s pump on as well as changing the lines. Not a lot you can do with the stock EFI setup without some redirecting of wiring as mentioned.
Agreed on the P/S pump. It's routing is hokey at best. I do like the breeze one. I'll put it on the list! It's more pricey so will have to wait a bit or else I get the evil eye from the better half..

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Agreed on the P/S pump. It's routing is hokey at best. I do like the breeze one. I'll put it on the list! It's more pricey so will have to wait a bit or else I get the evil eye from the better half..
I think the pump is 'ok', it's the hoses that need help. With a 3g, you need to get the wiring adapter from Breeze.I've used this alternator with no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was looking at the 3g Model referenced on Breeze's web site, following to Amazon and other vendors that all have the same thing. Inspecting the wire hookups they appear very different then what I have now. On the current alternator I have to heavy gauge wires in a molex connector that would fit 3 and then 2 small gauge wires in another molex connector. The 3g one appears to have 1 molex connector. Trying to figure out what the plan would be to do the swap. The word "fire" tends to motivate :)
Wiring a 3G isn't that difficult. This is something I had saved (didn't create it and don't remember where I found it, use at your own risk, etc.):

Font Line Parallel Handwriting Diagram

If it were me I wouldn't try to re-use the existing charge wire since it's marginal for the old 2G alternator and undersized for pretty much any 3G, but this site suggests you may be able to re-use at least some of the other wiring assuming you have a stock-ish Ford harness:
Fox Body Mustang 3G Alternator Upgrade DIY Article

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wiring a 3G isn't that difficult. This is something I had saved (didn't create it and don't remember where I found it, use at your own risk, etc.):

View attachment 365951

If it were me I wouldn't try to re-use the existing charge wire since it's marginal for the old 2G alternator and undersized for pretty much any 3G, but this site suggests you may be able to re-use at least some of the other wiring assuming you have a stock-ish Ford harness:
Fox Body Mustang 3G Alternator Upgrade DIY Article

Thanks! That helps a ton.

The car was wired with a new Ron Francis engine management harness, so no wiring from a donor car exists. I'll check the Ron Francis docs to be sure on wire gauges.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,598 Posts
If you still use the large solenoid you can wire it like the diagram above. That's for a single wire Ford starter. If the starter has it's own solenoid, i.e. mini starter type, you can clean up the wiring and ditch the large one. No use in a solenoid powering a solenoid to the starter.

The Type II p/s pump is not a necessity, it just performs better and looks much nicer. Yes, it's some $$ to do, but end game is nice. It's all about the $$ and/or "evil eye". :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you still use the large solenoid you can wire it like the diagram above. That's for a single wire Ford starter. If the starter has it's own solenoid, i.e. mini starter type, you can clean up the wiring and ditch the large one. No use in a solenoid powering a solenoid to the starter.

The Type II p/s pump is not a necessity, it just performs better and looks much nicer. Yes, it's some $$ to do, but end game is nice. It's all about the $$ and/or "evil eye". :)

Ya. I have to pick my projects and time frame based on the budget keepers evil eye vs the eye candy :) I've ordered a new set of spark plug wires and some management hangers for them. New cable heat shields as well. During inspection last night and prepping to buy new wires I discovered 2 of the current spark plug wires are melted through from the headers and have some bare wire showing! EEK. So that got put to #1 on the to do list.

I'm at constant odds looking at so many of the amazingly gorgeously done and kept Cobras out there, especially on BAT. Saw a MK3 recently sell that had 4000 miles on it. I was like no wonder it is so perfect looking, he only put 4k miles on it over a period of 14 years. I put 3k miles on mine in the last 4 months! Mines never going to be a picture of perfection, but I can still do quite a lot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is a cheap and easy one . make a cover for all the stuff on drivers side Its held on by the 2 body screws and one at back
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
512 Posts
One more vote for ditching that 2G alternator. I was warned about them catching fire or breaking and ignored it. More like, it was on my list of things to do, but was low in the list. That silly bearing design broke just as I was told it would. I had the pleasure of being on the side of the freeway as the rest of the Cobras in the club drove by.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts