Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to attach the clutch to my crate engine. I have to put in the dowel pin, and figure out the right orientation of the pressure plate. The picture below show the only markings on the pressure plate. I will thoroughly clean with brake cleaner before I do anything else, but..My questions are:

Can I hammer in the dowel pins with a brass drift, or do I need to take it off and have a machine shop press them in?

Do I need to worry about the orientation or balance of the pressure plate (based of the criptic marking on the flywheel) or is there only one way the pins and bolt will fit?

Thanks

·
3,798 Posts
No need to use a press, do like Frank says and you will be OK. Not much force need to put the pins in.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Freezing sound like a great idea...or should I say a cool idea...Thanks
Any worries about alignment and balance?

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
I didn't want to take the time to freeze the pins. So I heated the flywheel with a torch. It just needs to get warm, not red hot. Then tapped them in with a hammer.

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
The flywheel only fits one way, the bolts are offset...
Peter

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the pins in the freezer last night. If I am lucky I'll get to the garage after dinner tonight. I'm sure they will be chilled enough.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
No need to worry about throwing things out of balance as you can only bolt it up correctlly once dowels are installed. Check for burrs on dowels when done. Don't forget thread sealer on flywheel bolts.I used blue lock tite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts