Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the manual and on my first kit, I marked the aluminum removed then drilled aluminumn and redrilled again. How would just drilling first prior to removal work? Is it alignment issue?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
You won't be able to drill the floor and trunk panels accurately. You need to mark the locations of the cross members from below, remove the panels and then drill through the center of the marks.

Todd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I didn't like the way FF had some of the panels aligned so I removed them all without drilling then refit and drilled as I reassembeled them. I fit pretty much all of them before I riveted any and I think everything fits much better this way.

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Todd and Tim are right - not a time to cut corners Bill - take them apart and fit them and take them apart and fit them. You can set all your own gaps and fitment that way.

Good luck.

Scott

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
I drilled every piece that either didn't cross another or was the top piece when crossing another off the car... then positioned it with all the holes drilled and clecoed it in place. Overlapped pieces use the top pre-drilled piece to align the one below via the clecos and then drilled through.

Made it really simple. Just traced all the bits on the car and drilled them on a piece of plywood on some sawhorses.

Trace how the pre-installed bits are on there (marking overlap orders most importantly) and then take them off. Don't trust they installed them in the right position to the millimeter at the factory... they didn't. Those get installed very quickly and all of mine were off by a little bit here and there that would've made me have to trim or really jam in other panels if I'd left them where they were.

That said, I still want to find whoever designed the upper rear corner panels in the cockpit and crack 'em in the head with the pieces... because they just plain don't fit. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts