Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ford recommends

"WARNING: Before installation, prime the engine by removing the oil pressure switch from the filter adapter. Install
appropriate fitting and using a pre-lube tank to prime oiling system. Verify that the oil reaches the valve train, valve
cover removal may be necessary. Oil at the valve train confirms the engine is primed.
Check oil level and fill as necessary."

I looked on Summit and a pre lube tank is 280 bucks! Seems to me like all that is needed is that I pressurize and inject oil in to the block to run it through the system somehow. I have an air compressor and extra hoses and fittings I believe it could put this together. I also homebrew and have kegs laying around I could use but would hate to fill them with oil (unless its in the from of dark roasted malt :w00t:)

Anyway, does anyone have an example of how they did theirs? Maybe a spray fertilizer tank? Shouldn't need more than 40 PSI or so right?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
I used a garden sprayer and 0W-20 oil. Did the same thing with my LS engine.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
In addition to the use of the garden sprayer, I plan to pull the valve covers and apply assembly lube to the CAM lobes as insurance. My engine was a take out from a 2017 GT with very low mileage. I have been pulling the plugs and spraying fogging oil in the cylinders every year or so, but this does nothing for the CAMs or crank surfaces. So it will be 6 years plus before I do my first start.
I have a external filter and oil cooler, so lots of volume to fill beyond just the pan. I plan to fill the filter first, then use the sprayer to prime the rest of the system. Hopefully through the filler cap or PCV fittings I will be able to see if oil is reaching the heads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I rebuilt my 240 cu. in. in line 6 on my 1972 F-100 truck. To prime the engine I removed the distributor, and using a long flathead screwdriver with the handle cut off, I chucked it up in a drill, inserted down into the slot on the oil pump and ran the drill. I had left one plug out of the oil gally, and the oil shot out about 5 feet. RIGHT INTO MY WIFE'S FACE AND HAIR. Thank God she's not the type to get angry about such things. Seems like you guys have to go through a ton of crap to get the same job done. My how things have changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts