Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
building soon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,just wondering if its rare to go with power steering or not?if i dont do i have to convert to 94 spindles to use flaming river.i have a 89 donor. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I used an '89 donor and went with an OEM power rack. I love the power steering but with the GT rack it is a tad twitchy. I have cut down the relief spring in the pump and that has helped some. As a winter project I may change it to a slower 4 cylinder power rack.

But yes, we do use power steering and I for one love it.

JMHO

Skip

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Power steering with heidts valve===very nice!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
AGR makes a power steering rack engineered for the FFR.Call and ask for Matt.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
90 donor and power steering. Two best options during the build were power steering and brakes.
You will need to trim the spring some or add a reduceing valve/heidts valve to lessen some of the power.
Also be able to use more caster in the front end settings. This makes the steering wheel want to stay straight when going down the road. Takes the twitchyness out.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
also like Rod above i have 90 donor and power steering.

just be sure NOT to use the alignment specs in the manual, they are for de-powered mustang rack. my steering is too twitchy and i need to re-align it.

search the forum for the correct specs

sorry i can't directly help with your spindle question.

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
For power steer I went to +6 degrees of caster and MKIII handles like a cat on carpet,not at all Twitchy. Have you ever seen the caster on a Mercedes or BMW- My 528 BMW has +5.5 degrees and handles better than my MKIII !!!

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
GO power, you'll love it,
chas

·
Banned
496 Posts
Gotta have power steering and brakes.

"Cat on carpet"...I gotta look into +6 degrees of caster. Good timing as I have not got the alignment done yet.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
W/ PS run as much caster as you can get.The front of the UCA will get close to the coilover spring and that will limit you.So then you start moving the upper coilover mount rearward w/ differnt spacer combinations. I even bent the rear mount rearward (more spacers in front) to move the coilover further. I guess, if you got to 9 degrees, you might say that's enough, but that would be very hard to do.

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
I agree that + 9 degrees would be tough to get but positive caster really changes handling and steering wheel response,very accurate at high speed with very tight feel. I've had no problem staying with (and passing) Porsche 911s and vettes. Caster is most under rated yet most important adjustment on these short wheel base cars. Read caster websites as is interesting how and why this works so well on track cars. John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts