Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Power Steering - yes or no?

8K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  Mr. Barry 
#1 ·
Newbie here. Just picked up a project roadster that's been partially-assembled but still has a ways to go. It's got a power steering rack from a 94 I was told. I don't plan on tracking the car. Most likely it'll just be a weekend cruiser. It doesn't have a power steering pump on the engine so I guess the last owner wasn't planning on it. That seems odd to me but maybe not on these cars? I realize they're light, but are they easy to steer without it? TIA

Mike Dapkus
2002 Roadster

#2 ·
I ran my mk4 for a short while with the FFR manual rack before replacing it with a PS setup. I like the car a lot better with PS. You can run more caster with ps.

Have you considered electric ps? It seems to be more popular now than it was back when I built.

#10 ·
I ran my mk4 for a short while with the FFR manual rack before replacing it with a PS setup. I like the car a lot better with PS. You can run more caster with ps.

Have you considered electric ps? It seems to be more popular now than it was back when I built.
I've seen a few guys doing the electric pumps but no personal experience with them. I think the initial cost is higher than a belt-driven pump, but I guess they are supposed to last longer?

#3 ·
I have PS, and like it. I would do it again. Just a bit more comfortable for my old bones.

Reactions: dapkusm
#4 ·
I built my Mk3 with a Flaming River quick ratio manual rack. It has been fine, but as I am getting older, it has become more difficult to steer, especially low speed and parking. So this winter/spring it is getting an EPAS system. Then it can get more caster and should improve it's handling.

#5 ·
Added power steering after 4 years of driving a manual rack. Set up correctly it make all the difference in the world. It drives like a different car. Got rid of the twitchy feel on the freeway and Canyon runs are a blast now. Highly recommended.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

#7 · (Edited)
If it has a PS rack and no pump, possibly the original builder was planning a de-powered donor rack setup. Something done with builds early on but universally recognized as a very poor setup. Yes to PS. It's about better front end geometry, as some have mentioned. Increased caster. Not primarily steering effort. Dramatically changes how the car drives.

#8 ·
I’ve run it for 16 years with power brakes and would do it again. Others have driven my car and complement it on how easy, “normal” it drives, rides etc.

#9 ·
My MkI had a depowered Mustang PS rack. It was horrible. So I powered it up. Once I get the assist level straightened out by cutting the spring in the pump it was great. My MkII came w/ an FFR manual rack so I thought maybe that would be OK. A month later it had PS. I used this pump from a 99 Explorer.
World Font Wood Gas Rectangle

The label shows one w/ a built-in reservoir but this Part number has no reservoir. This is a GM style pump which is well known to be better than the old Mustang pump. I mounted it using one of Breezes mounts plus some spacers.
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Nut Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank Automotive design

I agree with Greg. PS allows you to make the car dive like a normal car. He11 of a fast one but normal nevertheless.

Reactions: dapkusm
#13 ·
Jeff kleiner has some good posts about exactly what you need for adding PS. I went a different route and used a Jones racing pump setup and an AGR rack. At the time some people were having issues with the AGR racks, and they assured meit was due to too much pressure. Jones racing dialed in the pump to AGR specs and I haven't had any issues. My PS was added after the car was finished.

Hood Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Automotive exterior

#14 ·
My opinion is no power steering. For me, there is something wonderful about driving a car without power steering. The car just talks to you. My Hot Rod has electric power steering. It works really good. Too good for me. Sure, power steering is nice in a parking lot, but numb the rest of the time. I just unplugged the electric power steering and now the car is amazing. I did not remove it as I know that age happens and I am sure in the future, I will want it back.

#16 ·
I have done power steering on all 5 of mine. Wouldnt have it any other way. I did power brakes too, call me a sissy but I like how it drives.

MZ

#18 ·
I drove my Mk 1.5 for 15 years without P/S and added it a couple of years ago. A huge positive difference. I say yes.

#19 · (Edited)
Yes to power steering, and yes to power brakes. don't use the quick ratio steering rack...too twitchy and scary at speed...been there, done that.

my car has the non-sport ratio steering rack...Powered...with the power steering spring mod on the pump to take some of the assist off the wheel...and vacuum assisted brakes...with the recommended alignment. And it drives like the sports car that it is, and the steering reads my mind. it is a pleasure to drive, and i don't think anything about the effort, or control, and enjoy the feel in the wheel...i love it!

wouldn't have it any other way.

Have fun with the build!

Reactions: hefbadr
#23 ·
I ran for a while without it, went to my first Autocross and it (as I suspected it would be) was too challenging in manual mode. I installed the pump and have never regretted it. Some folks have installed a valve to bypass some of the pressure.

What's the trick on the pump spring I see above?

#24 ·
I can’t speak for all types of pumps but the SN95 pump with remote reservoir used with Ford hydroboost has a fitting on the side with a spring inside as part of the output pressure regulator. Remove the spring and cut one coil off (or slightly more) if memory serves. This reduces the pressure thus the assist effort on the steering and brakes. There were several posts on this in the 2003-2005 timeframe. It works and it’s simpler than the aftermarket heights valve bypass installation.

#26 ·
#27 ·
So the verdict is clear, PS all the way. The question is how to modulate the line pressure. Cut the relief spring (de classe IMHO) or use a Heidts valve. Cutting the spring is a one time thing (more or less) and if you get it wrong you are stuck with what you got. The Heidts Valve is adjustable to your preference and conditions.

#32 ·
So the verdict is clear, PS all the way. The question is how to modulate the line pressure. Cut the relief spring (de classe IMHO) or use a Heidts valve. Cutting the spring is a one time thing (more or less) and if you get it wrong you are stuck with what you got. The Heidts Valve is adjustable to your preference and conditions.
Why don't you simply try without the Heidt's valve first and see how you like it?

#28 ·
If I was building today, I would seriously look into electric. The kit from epowersteering is $745. That is pretty reasonable. Dial it in on the fly without unbuckling. Not sure of the quality or reviews, just putting it out there.

#29 ·
Completely unnecessary and much better feel without.

#30 ·
I finished my build in 2015 with oversized front tires and no power steering. I had it professionally aligned. I noticed that it felt very twitchy, easily following every contour of the road. That can be disconcerting with a short wheelbase car that weighs 2000 pounds and has about 450 hp. Of course in parking lots I needed to do more arm exercises to handle that. I know that if I went to narrower front tires it would help, but I didn't want to do that. So, I put on hydraulic power steering. It did transform the car. It feels solid on the highway at all speeds and is very easy to drive slowly with no significant loss of feel. I recommend it. If you're going racing...not too sure. Talk to others, but I'd say you can't go wrong.

#34 ·
I have had all the systems, now with EPAS.

Started off with the regular Ford PS System and 5.0 front motor dress, street Fox Mustang alignment settings.

The Ford systems could not handle any revs, everything blew up constantly. I then used the GM pump, brackets and stuff from Jones, varied pulley sizes, worked on alignment settings, and used the slower ratio rack, so the car was not as nervous. Admittedly after alot of trying things and laying back the caster, it worked well, I was happy.

New Motor with electric water pump changed the front motor dress completely, so I decided to try the EPAS from a Saturn View. Big project, and lots of experimentation, but I'm happy with it. I can vary the amount of assist, so both parking and putting around is easy with more assist, and on the track, I barely have any. Again with a manual slower rack. Also alot of experimenting with alignment settings, but it's quite good now. Only real negative of the EPAS is you do loose some road feel to the steering wheel due to the EPAS unit.

Happy to provide any more info if wanted.

Dan

#35 ·
I recently had a chance to play with the saturn EPS that a friend installed on his nasa car. His comments were the assist can go so high its silly and the feedback was numb. I personally haven't tried my own car but I have the 15:1 power rack with the linear 2000 cobra R tbar and a KRC pump. It will be a while until I can say how well that works in the FFR. I know it works in the mustang.

#36 ·
I have hydroboost on an SN95 rack. I drove someone else’s car with a manual rack about a year ago. I know I’m in the minority here, but if I ever build another roadster, I’m going manual steering and brakes. I like the higher effort steering and direct feel. Plus it looks so much cleaner under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.