Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 44 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Just picked up a project roadster that's been partially-assembled but still has a ways to go. It's got a power steering rack from a 94 I was told. I don't plan on tracking the car. Most likely it'll just be a weekend cruiser. It doesn't have a power steering pump on the engine so I guess the last owner wasn't planning on it. That seems odd to me but maybe not on these cars? I realize they're light, but are they easy to steer without it? TIA

Mike Dapkus
2002 Roadster

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran my mk4 for a short while with the FFR manual rack before replacing it with a PS setup. I like the car a lot better with PS. You can run more caster with ps.

Have you considered electric ps? It seems to be more popular now than it was back when I built.
I've seen a few guys doing the electric pumps but no personal experience with them. I think the initial cost is higher than a belt-driven pump, but I guess they are supposed to last longer?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I built my Mk3 with a Flaming River quick ratio manual rack. It has been fine, but as I am getting older, it has become more difficult to steer, especially low speed and parking. So this winter/spring it is getting an EPAS system. Then it can get more caster and should improve it's handling.
You're going electric? What is is it that's leading you down that path?

1 - 4 of 44 Posts