Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I know this has been beat to death but just one thing I'd like to know from those who are driving their cars with power steering - 2.5 or 3 turn rack - does it make much difference for street use only? With apologies to the excellent vendors here I ordered a reman 6406 rack from AutoZone (wow) twice and they both came as 2.5 turn. Any questions resulted in the deer in the headlight stare. I'll most likely just get one from one of the knowledgeable vendors here but it's hard to resist the $59 price tag at AZ. I know - you get what you pay for. Maybe from my local NAPA store, that way if there's a problem it's easy to return.
Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am just about to pick one up also and wondering the same thing. I know most opt for the 3.0 but I would really like to hear from some owners that have the 2.5.

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
the 2.5 rack is very quick. Extremely quick. For normal driving it doesn't really matter. But if you make a panic maneuver, it would be very easy to get out of shape. If it's just a street driver, I would suggest a 3.0 rack.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Like so much with these cars it comes down to intended use. I've built cars with both and will say that you do notice the difference. For a street or occassional autocross/track car I'd say go with the 3.0 because it is a little more relaxed. I compete with my own car a lot running with the faster ratio and for my uses wouldn't change it. Response is go kart quick and I virtually never have to take my hands off of 10 & 2 when autocrossing but can still cruise down the interstate one handed. Remember too that apart from rack ratio your alignment settings play a huge role in how the car behaves and responds. Power steering can use lots of caster but be sure to read THIS before you go beyond 5-6 degrees.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
I prefer the 3.0 which is what I have had for 7 yrs until this past August. I finally went to the 2.5 after 2 autocrosses in a row where i needed it. I still don't like it on the street as it takes the first 5 minutes or so of each drive to get acclimated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.