Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving with no power steering with the stock mustang rack for about 1 year. Can I hook up the power steering with small/medium/or high probability it is going to leak? What if I don't use a heidt's valve, what are the issues?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
929 Posts
I went the total heidt's route with no leaks. Well, one, but a tiny seep quickly abated. If you have had the rack open to the air all this time, you may wanna clean it out realllllllllgud before you start whipping the PS around. eh?

·
The Traveler
3,104 Posts
Been there done that....
get a lot of bottles of fluid! Rehook up all the hoses and the small tube - on the rack. Get the bracket to mount the power steering up where the AC use to be. Form the presure tube a little to clear the steering shaft. Hook up the belt.

Now the fun part.... note above I never said put fluid in YET! Get a pail on the ground and run the return hose - bottom one hooked to the pump with a simple hose clamp - from the rack to the pail. It's going to catch the waste fluid!! Put a plug on the pump where you pulled off the return line. NOW fill the pump with fluid and leaving the cap off have someone start up the car. The pail is going to fill with some really BLACK/BROWN fluid!!! Keep pouring fluid into the pump as it pumps out the old fluid.

You will go through may quarts till the fluid finally starts to turn red. When it does now turn the steering wheel side to side to get even more brown fluid out. Finally you can stop the engine hook up the hose, fit the pump, to the proper level and start it up. After a day or two of driving you may still have to drain the fluid and reload it as it will turn brown from dirt.

In all this be VERY careful around a running engine. PLEASE!! But it was the way I found to get the fluid clean after running the stock rack for about a year.

The power steering will feel a little too easy on the open highway. Around town very nice! The valve allow you to turn back the presure a little so as not to provide as much assist from the pump. But in my opinion the stock pump isn't that bad!

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i went 1.5 years with no PS, then slapped a pump on. i found the rubber o-ring in the pump needed to be replaced and the donor rack leaked from the side seal and needed to be replaced. that was two years ago, and not a thing to do since on it.

(rebuilt rack $90 from autozone)

-james

[ August 20, 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Ophitoxaemia ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.