Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the power steering for my Coupe. Do the fittings that go in the steering rack get any type of thread dope or is this like a break line steel on steel?

I was watching a rerun of Hot Rod the other day. They where working on a '63 Vette replica with a fiberglass body. The crew was getting very frustrated as it was one step forward, two steps back most of the way. I was working on the steering cooler pipe. Lots of fitting bending fitting bending.. well you get the picture. So kinda recognized that, but the end result was a beautiful car, which happens on this forum all the time.

Thanks,

John

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
no dope generally on hydraulics I believe

·
Registered
598 Posts
You can forgo the cooler pipe and go with a finned alum flow through cooler. Looks way cool. Mounted mine in the rad ducting. About 5 inch round by 14 inch. Any speed shop will carry. Sorry no pic.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
only apply dope to PIPE threads. Nothing else. These are the type of threads that require thread interference to seal.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
I put a little anti-seize on mine. I might want to take them apart some day.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, another trip to the partsstore I guess! LOL
Richard, I already made the cooling pipe on the frame and everything. I'm sure that cooler looks very nice though.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.