Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about engine and accessory details. Hopefully I can get them all sorted out before it is time to start ordering.

I have the RF harness. I can do a Ford style or 1-wire. A long time ago there were a couple cars that caught on fire from alternator shorts. Were these older types? Is there one type that is "better" (no disertations needed, notice the quotes)?

What are the advantages / disadvantages of a 1-wire vs G3?

Next subject - power steering pumps. I am planning on a March pully set, which can use a Ford or Saginaw pump. Again, advantages / disadvantages.

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
The Ron Francis harness is already set up for the G2 alternator. In MHO the G2's bad rap is a bit of a Chicken Little "the sky is falling" response. The issue is not the alternator itself but rather the dual spade connector plug which can corrode over time (think in terms of a decade) causing a poor connection resulting in high resistance that can ultimately overheat/melt the wires. It is recommended that whenever a G2 is replaced THE PIGTAIL WITH THE CONNECTORS be replaced as well as a precautionary measure. Many new and reman'd G2 alternators include it. Since the RF harness is made up of all new parts I consider the aged connector issue a moot point.

Not sure if there is any benefit to a Saginaw pump. FWIW, I've built two roadsters using Ford PS pumps and have no complaints.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
the 3g only requires a fat 12v cable and 1 wire , cant help out with wiring it to your rf harness though

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would suggest a 95 amp 3G alternator: the mounts are the same as the 2G but the 3G is a newer refinement with an internal fan and more efficient.

Saginaw type II power steering pump: smaller, cleaner and more efficent than the Ford pump...all the race teams use this style pump. I personally went with the AGR aluminum pump with the integral black plastic reservoir ... it looks OEM which is the look I was going for. I also spent the money and went with the AGR rack that is tuned for the light 90" wheel base cobra and I am delighted with the firm feeling of the steering.

Jack

·
565 Posts
Concept One Pulleys

This is the route I took. Everything is included and it looks great. 5000 miles no problems. Included the Alternator I went to a few shows and saw turn buckle tensioning set ups, did not look reliable. I too used a RF wiring system. The power steering pump is machined and regulated perfectly from these guys for the lighter ff5 cars

Ford Pulley Kits, Ford Pulley Systems | Concept One

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
I would suggest a 95 amp 3G alternator: the mounts are the same as the 2G but the 3G is a newer refinement with an internal fan and more efficient.
Jack
+1 Makes tons of power at idle with UD pulley, AC, Big fan, Lights etc. No dimming at 14V. Got it off ebay for $100 no core.

Ditto Ford PS pumps. I run the small one with remote reservoir but added PS to another car with the full size pump.

Greg

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
with the AGR / OEM Mustang pump you can take advantage of the cut spring mod, which reduces the assist. free, and 5 minutes. mine is just the perfect amount of assist.

not sure of other models and reducing assist.

:beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.