1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
403 Posts
Impressive, research, design and execution eeeny! Looks like it's going to work out jut like you planned it!

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
Looks like a pretty trick set-up! Are you anywhere close to go-karting so you can see what the feel and speed of the steering is like?

PS---I'd say you might as well list all of the components you used for this, as well as how much you're going to charge for your pump controller, so we can all get in line!

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
NICE!! Yep, put my headphones on and I could hear the pump speed and slow to the speed of the wheel.... Man, this is so awesome!!

Shane, hopefully I will have this all installed in a month or so. I need to collect a list of parts I need (hint hint) :) and I'll get her installed and working. I have my rack, will get my pump this week, and need to order some small bits like he hydro fittings and hose etc.

Im doing this control arm project to get the 5 or so degrees of caster I think Im going to need with the power steering.

David

·
Registered
889 Posts
Are you going to sell the box and does it use the ABS emitter to sense wheel speed? I need one to control my Subaru pump.
Great job.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it can use the abs, or FFR reluctor wheel or a signal from the PCM.

Front Left abs was convenient for me.

I made 30 pcbs.
Total cost of board is about $30 (with chip, components etc).

you guys'll have to box the board yourselves, any project box will be ok, prob. about $5-$10. Clear plastic may be good to see what the lights are doing ;-)

I just need to fit my shift cables and get the car aligned, then I can go-kart it.

I think Dave B. may be the 1st to have it working on the road/highway.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Richard, the video file is quite large, maybe you need to wait longer? or try a different computer.

kbentzel,
unfortunately, this circuit will only work (as is) with the toyota MR2 spyder PS pump, as it's using the controller in the pump to do the actual PWM speed control of the motor. I did write a version that output a PWM control signal, but you would have to add your own power transistors to handle the heavy current of the motor. Which also means heatkinking them etc.

when I received my PS pump, I only then discovered that I wouldn't need to drive the motor directly, which made the project a bit easier.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
plumbin parts list

Here is what you need to order to get the same setup as me:

mustang rack AN6 adapter set from breeze automotive #70516

High pressure side:
6" of aeroquipe teflon AN6 braided hose (blue or silver) rated to 2500psi ( funnily enough, it's actually thinner than regular AN6 tubing).
rack end: AN6 45 degree hose connector, these are special for the teflon, they are steel, not anodized ali.

pump end: AN6 90 degree hose connector, these are special for the teflon, they are steel, not anodized ali.

adapter for pump HP port: aeroquip M16 to AN6 adapter with O-ring on base.

Low pressure side:
1ft AN6 braided line (not teflon)
45 degree AN6 hose end fitting (your choice of pretty colors)
6" of 3/8" black oil hose
double barbed straight thru connector 3/8"
three small hose clamps for 3/8" hose

For the elctrical, I soldered to the PS pump terminals, and fitted generic metripack connectors, then gooped up the PS connector housing with slicone. You could try to find a toyota pigtail, which would be nicer.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, someone suggested using the blue thick hose for the PS application, it's not teflon, but some high pressure thick walled rubber hose without SS braiding. The fittings for this type of hose are huge and will not fit on the rack as the ports are too close together.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Someone should consider selling this as a "package" for around $1000 or so. Whatever is reasonable. I think it would sell.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Also just so people know, those Mustang II racks could be considered a bit fragile. We would go through 2-3 of them in a season of racing. A moderate impact seemed to kill the valving. Just an FYI. Probably a condition most GTMs won't experience regularly.

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Also just so people know, those Mustang II racks could be considered a bit fragile. We would go through 2-3 of them in a season of racing. A moderate impact seemed to kill the valving. Just an FYI. Probably a condition most GTMs won't experience regularly.
Just an FYI, the rack is from a 88 and newer Mustang.

David

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
The power steering mustang rack also has a larger spline as it mounts to the steering shaft linkage. The adaptor from FFR will need to be swapped out for the FFR part number 14554.

Roger

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
Varable speed assist steering

VSA Steering available on grand prix,bonnevilles etc. tightens the steering as you go faster. That is a great just what the GTM needs. it should come standand with the kit!!!! Ha!

DJ

·
Senior Charter Member
1,380 Posts
Incredible work, thanks a lot.

Now if I could only find some space up front. I am running ABS so that spot isn't going to work for me.

How long can the hoses be?

Jeff

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
VSA Steering available on grand prix,bonnevilles etc. tightens the steering as you go faster. That is a great just what the GTM needs. it should come standand with the kit!!!! Ha!

DJ
I agree... in essence, this is exactly what eeeny has created. A programmable power steering pump that will reduce assist the faster you go... and you can choose how much assist.

I ordered my PS pump yesterday so should have that in about a week or so. Eeeny was cool enough to send me a list of parts I needed, so I will try and get those ordered this week. Hopefully I will have a a running car with PS and new control arms within the next 3 weeks or so and I can give you an idea how it feels.

David

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Incredible work, thanks a lot.

Now if I could only find some space up front. I am running ABS so that spot isn't going to work for me.

How long can the hoses be?

Jeff
Jeff,

I've got to imagine the hoses could have some length if needed. You could mount the pump behind the front splash panels(custom ones Richard O makes) or up front on the opposite side of the expansion tank by the radiators.(just on the other side of where he has it) if its not too tall.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think the hose length is a non issue ..... oh, perhaps I should have rephrased that ;-) (ah, just hit send)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts