Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ffcars (MKII) is almost mechanically complete and I am just trying to finish up everything before mounting the body the last time! After completing manual brakes (stock mustang cylinder, discs and drum with factor modified pedal box) and a stock mustang steering rack, I decided I want to do power brakes and power steering. I have been reading many postings on the forum and still am undecided about what system to install. At this point I definately want to add these systems before the body is mounted up and not say, "should have", later on and try to get it installed down the road. I think I may attempt the stock power brake unit (3/4" frame mod)and steering pump(bend factory lines). Can anyone offer there thoughts? I am not to sure on installing either? Does anyone have any systems for sale? What is easiest and most cost effective? Thank you.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,021 Posts
Both totally do-able. I used the stock booster out of my '93 donor, cut and re-welded the 3/4" tube, and re-bent the stock lines.

I did go with an Explorer pump because I wanted to retain the stock A/C compressor. Go here for pics of my setup: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214975

There is the Ford Motorsport PS relocate bracket if you're not going to use A/C, and many have used the stock lines bent around to use the relocated PS pump.

·
Charter Member
3,059 Posts
I went the hydraboost route. Called up Mustant Part Specialties (MPS) and got a PS rack and hydraboost and lines from an 2006 wrecked Mustang. Ordered a new 1995 sytle PS pump from Summit Racing.

There are is a lot of info on the hydraboost option here - just do a search.

FYI - if you go hyrdraboost, you'll need the adapter and 'tool' from FFR. Not a big deal, but don't forget you'll need those.

·
Cougar
596 Posts
Two cobras now, one with both power steering and power brakes, and one with power steering and no power brakes. As I rebuild #3762 it is going to be with 18:1 manual steering, and stronger power brakes. IMHO these cars need the very best possible brakes, but power steering just adds weight and complexity unneccessarily.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Power steering and power (vacuum) brakes , were the two best changes to my car over the 6 years on the road....Do it now, while you can go back to the un-modded pedal, and get a power rack too (don't use the Mustang donor rack).....Access to all, makes these changes relatively easy now.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
I went the hydraboost route. Called up Mustant Part Specialties (MPS) and got a PS rack and hydraboost and lines from an 2006 wrecked Mustang. Ordered a new 1995 sytle PS pump from Summit Racing.

There are is a lot of info on the hydraboost option here - just do a search.

FYI - if you go hyrdraboost, you'll need the adapter and 'tool' from FFR. Not a big deal, but don't forget you'll need those.
I did the same, but I think (?) by the time it's said and done, you'll spend a little bit more (in both money and time) on hydroboost than using a donor style vacuum booster etc. I love my hydroboosted brakes and power steering.

Two cobras now, one with both power steering and power brakes, and one with power steering and no power brakes. As I rebuild #3762 it is going to be with 18:1 manual steering, and stronger power brakes. IMHO these cars need the very best possible brakes, but power steering just adds weight and complexity unneccessarily.
This may be true, but I like the point and shoot accuracy of power steering :001_tongue: and it's value in autocross is well understood.

Power steering and power (vacuum) brakes , were the two best changes to my car over the 6 years on the road....Do it now, while you can go back to the un-modded pedal, and get a power rack too (don't use the Mustang donor rack).....Access to all, makes these changes relatively easy now.
Ditto! Although I am using a 95 donor rack. It seems to work well for me.

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
My only negatives on the donor rack, are usually the mileage...and , sometimes the lock to lock ratio (depending on the year/model).....It's just better (if you can), not to guess at whether the donor rack will work well , when it is easy (but more expensive),at this stage to change it to a rack of your choice.
P.S....I'm really good at spending someone else's money!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Power steering and brakes are the way to go IMHO. I installed power steering while I was building. I hated the manual brakes w/rear drums even with the pedal mod. I ended up pulling the body off early last year to upgrade to power brakes and do a few other mods. At the same time I added rear discs. The brakes work great now.

Charlie

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,466 Posts
I too am a power steering and power brake fan. I wouldnt build another without either. AGR designed a rack to go with our cars so maybe if you do a quick search you will find it. I used all factory 87-93 parts for the Power steering and the power brakes were all from a 95 Cobra except for the power booster which was from a 93 Mustang 5.0
I havent heard of many people who didnt like the PS and PB either after switching or doing it from the start. Good Luck with it, I am sure you will be happy.

Mike

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,248 Posts
PS and Manual Brakes

I used a pump and pulley set from JMP, looks great, I could adjust the size of the crank pulley, makes the PS effort higher. I used to kill ford pumps racing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS or PB wanted

Does anyone have a stock mustang donor power steering pump, bracket, hoses, brake booster and any other parts I am missing to get PS and PB on my ffcars? I have the stock (power) steering rack and master cylinder.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
Power Steering / Brakes

Did you ever make the final decision on the PS / PB option for your kit ?

I am looking at the Breeze PS kit and the Whitby's PB kit. I am still working overseas so all i can do now is research.

Bob

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
PS & PB were the best thing I did with my MKII build. I will be doing it again on my MKIII.1 too.

If you didn't keep the donor stuff, everything is available at your local auto parts store if you need it. The biggest pain is the donor PS return line fitting that goes into the rack, that is not available. If you do not have it, take your rack to a hydraulic shop and they can find you a fitting (Or use Breeze, Mark has a simple conversion to AN fittings).

You have to make two mods with the MKII. You have to do the 3/4" frame mod, which I used the Whitby frame mod. It is a bolt in mod and requires no welding, something I wanted to avoid. You also have to enlarge the hole in the pedal box where the MC fits through for the power booster. A few minutes with an end grinder took care of this work.

Good luck.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,248 Posts
I have a kit from JRP, but the same pump is used. MUCH better than the Ford pump, less assist, and no more burning up pumps!!!

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
I went with power steering and brakes as well, for the brakes I used hydro-boost, and the power steering I used a 1983 Mustang 4 cylinder non-sport suspension rack (this was suggested by FFR) When I went for my first drive around the neighborhood the steering was perfect, no twitchiness like others have described, and the brakes work perfect. When I build my coupe it will have the same set-up.
Lile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts