Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I ran without power steering and found it a bit stiff. I have decided to go back to power steering, but found a problem.

I tried to re-install the power steering pump, but found that the steering shaft was in the way. The original engine had power steering and AC. I see in my mustang manual that the 5.0 engine had a different brackets for the power steering without the AC. Before I search for these other parts, does anyone have a solution for the steering shaft problem? Does anyone know if the brackets for power steering without AC work, and let the power steering pump clear the steering shaft?

Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
Yes the brackets without AC work, or you can get the AC eliminator kit from FMS for under $40.

Or you can go with a real nice bracket from either March ($100+) or Cobrastuff.com (same thing as March for about $75).

Lukas

·
The Traveler
3,093 Posts
Yes the Ford Motorsport brackets are what you need to fit the power steering pump up where the AC use to be. It will clear the steering shaft. I think they are about $45 new for the 2 brackets and bolts. You need the large round cast aluminum bracket for the pump but the Ford Motorsport brackets will take care of mounting it.

You will also need a LARGE bottle of fluid! Your rack has been running with no power steering and there is junk in the rack. Get the power steering all hooked up then remove the bottom hose from the pump - the low preasure hose. Put the end of the hose in a bucket and with the engine running keep pouring fluid into the pump till the fluid coming out the hose is no longer BLACK! It's messy but worth the work to get the fluid clean. You are using the pump to clean out the rack.

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
My engine is in the shop getting finished. Do I need to call and tell them to add the Ford Motorsport brackets, or the AC eliminator kit?

Thanks!

·
Jack of all trades
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Oh, and Traveler - good advice, but I always wondered if I would go back to power steering, so I routed one of the power steering hoses back into the open hole on the rack, so it stayed clean. Regardless, I will be doing exactly what you suggested.

Thanks for your help.

·
The Traveler
3,093 Posts
it was a wise tip passed on to me by an OLD dude here many years ago.... Wayne Presley! He really is older than the hills! :D

·
Senior Charter Member
191 Posts
I bought the power steering bracket from Cobrastuff.com. It is very nice and comes with all the bolts and spacers needed.

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
Originally posted by Traveler:
it was a wise tip passed on to me by an OLD dude here many years ago.... Wayne Presley! He really is older than the hills! :D
Old!!!Are you talkin' to me??? You have PhD that is older than me

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,218 Posts
Check out the thread I posted yesterday. Same bracket kit, plus belt info and pictures of the full install.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Will the same brackets, pulleys, etc... work on a 351W?
I'm about a month away from starting the build on my 393W but I'm not buying anything for the front of the engine until I know what all brackets will work together. All I have right now is the timing chain cover and a new alternator that came with the engine.
This has to be one of the most confusing parts of building these cars!

·
Charter Member
972 Posts
Arctic - I have a spare bracket (new in box!), and I'm going down to Olds tomorrow. Want it? No charge.

Dennis B.

·
Charter Member
212 Posts
ANYONE HAVE A PIC OF THE POWER STEERING LINES HOOKED UP???
(I have seached the forums with little luck, from what I understand one or both lines must be bent? )
THANKS

James

·
Charter Member
972 Posts
James - you have mail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts