Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add power steering this winter.

The only reason is that track week ends really wear me out. For the next couple of days my neck and shoulders are so painful I can't do much of anything.

I don't expect to gain any lap time. I actually expect to lose a little bit, since some HP will be sent to the PS pump instead of the rear wheels. Life's full of trade offs.

I did a lot of research on parts. Price was not the deciding factor, although it did play a role in some of the parts selections. I wanted the best parts available; not the most expensive or the fanciest, but the best. I want race parts that I can install and beat on forever without a failure. I learned a long time ago that I can't afford cheap parts.

I also decided to switch from a V belt to a serpentine belt. Although that costs a little bit more, it solves some installation issues. That also means I have to install a new water pump. Oh, well.

The new pump will be installed on the driver's side head, using a Breeze bracket. The breeze bracket seems to mount the pump lower than the others. That leaves me room for the other stuff mounted in the same area.

Speaking of that, I'll have to fab some new brackets for the coils and air:eek:il separator. I'll be using a remote reservoir to allow for the MII steering shaft. I may mount that on the engine using the same modular bracket. But I'm thinking it may work better to mount that on the F panel. I'll just have to wait and see how it all goes together.

I ordered all the parts this week end, and it wasn't cheap. The only place where I could reasonably save some money would be the pump. A good AGR racing pump is about $400 less. But, it's not as good a part (IMO).

The AGR rack I ordered is the standard Mustang rack. That would be too "twitchy" with a standard pump. The KRC pump allows easy flow volume adjustment to adjust the rack sensitivity and feel. By buying a standard rack, I can easily add more or less sensitivity, depending on what I want. That's the theory, anyway. The Mustang rack is about $100 cheaper, too.

A rebuilt Autozone Mustang rack is about $200 cheaper. But, you get what you pay for (if you're lucky)

I expect it will take me about a month or so to get the installation done. Custom installations are always time consuming.

PN Cost
Breeze Automotive
Adapter Fitting Kit .....70516..... $26.00
Pump bracket .....70608 .....89.00
Serpentine belt,52.9" .....K060529 .....25.00
-6 braided hose, 6' .....21102 .....29.40
-6 straight fitting, x1 .....21523 .....7.50
-6 90* fitting, x3 .....21524 .....52.50
-10 braided hose, 3' .....21106 .....26.85
-10 120* fitting, x1 .....21526 .....20.00
-10 45* fitting, x1 .....21525 .....17.50
Shipping ?

KRC
Pulley, mill finish .....20015007 .....$55.11
Alum pump .....63200000R .....624.52
Resevoir, round .....91504000 .....87.60
-6 flow valve .....25306000 .....23.29
Shipping 0.0

Summit Racing
Rack & Pinion .....AGR-712581 .....$279.95
Pulley set .....BBK-1553 .....119.99
Water Pump, reverse .....EDL-8840 .....189.95
Shipping .....12.95

Total Cost .....$1687.11

· Premium Member
976 Posts
I have a 3.1 that is hard to steer at very low speeds. I'm not sure it is a big enough problem enough to spend the time and money necessary to fix it with power steering. Unlike you I do not race and only drive a few hundred miles a year. However, it would be nice to parallel park it for example without having a wrestling match with the steering wheel.

It would be nice if you continued this post (or supplemented it somehow) in detail so that those of us interested in completing a transition to power steering could use your experience as a guilde. Thanks..

· FFCobra Fanatic
6,983 Posts
Bob we are both in the same boat.

I am a little shocked over your prices.

I have priced a KRC pump with pulley and reservoir for around $685.
I have a 6" crank pully so the pump speed will be high with a 4.2" pump pully. These pumps can go up to 9000RPM's.
http://www.jegs.com/i/KRC/612/63202100/10002/-1?parentProductId=

I already have a Breeze drivers side mounting bracket.
Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing

I need a new rack, I may go witha autozone 2.5.
Also some fittings and lines.

All I have to do is mount the pump in the drivers side location and move the alternator to under the blower using the blower bracket.
I will be adding a cooler to help with the heat.

John

· Charter Member
6,164 Posts
Bob,

Just a note, i bought the less flow valve fittings(#4-#7) and ended up using the least assist valve (#4). I have an 2.5 turn rack with a small 13" wheel.
Trevor

· Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Did you consider electric power steering? At that price it seems to be a wash. No horsepower robbed either :) I only mention it because I've been considering it.

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,273 Posts
Did you consider electric power steering?...No horsepower robbed either...
Darren, maybe I'm missing something here or am not interpreting your post correctly. Can you explain please? The power to move the rack ultimately comes from the engine....

Engine (torque) > Alternator (electricity) > Pump (hydraulic pressure) > Rack movement

...whereas traditional power steering has less steps...

Engine (torque) > Pump (hydraulic pressure) > Rack movement

To me it would seem that, for equal hydraulic power at the rack, electric PS would be less efficient (has more losses). The engine has to work harder to do the same amount of work.

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,507 Posts
Bob, I didn't see a cooling coil or heat sink on your parts list. Not a bad idea to increase the life of your components esp after a long track day.

· Charter Member
6,164 Posts
marks right, in the end it is the same difference in hp loss. Its just what you prefer.

I dont run a steering cooler on the RR track. I know you need them for autoX

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Wild swing: If you are building a performance car you want all the power the motor develops to accelerate the car. Using electric power steering as well as electric fans uses energy from the battery which gets replenished any time the motor is running. The power to turn the fan and the power steering pump is a drain on power to accelerate the car. A lot of drag race guys even use electric water pumps and fuel pumps to extract every fraction of a HP to accelerate the car a number of these guys do not run any kind of a charging system they just charge the battery betwen rounds. Modern F1 cars use a KERS ( Kinetic energy restoration system) to recharge the battery pack as do a number of current Hybrid cars. I think any electric powered system is the way to go for performance and overall energy efficiency.
CB

· Registered
150 Posts
I've been checking out fast Freddie's EHPS system. Pricey, but what's another $1500 at this point...

After cruizing around the last couple of days, I've decided the manual steering is a little harder than I'm willing to deal with, especially since I'm wanting to do autox in the future.

Seen plenty of good feedback for the Fast Freddie's system, but anyone have any negatives?

· Registered
789 Posts
Very similar to what I just ordered. To save some money , I went with a Jones racing double water pump pulley, so I didn't have to spend the money or time replacing the water pump. I hope i dont regret going with the faster AGR rack, 2.75 turns lock to lock. Others said they really like it. Please post a follow up when you get it all done.

Do you think you will need rack extenders? I discovered today that I don't have enough threads for the outer tie rods.

Ernest

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,001 Posts
I autocross w/ Fast Freddie and can tell you his kit is top notch stuff. He is also very happy w/ Autozone racks and has used 10-20 of them in cars he has worked on. I used one a month ago to go from a 3.0 turns to 2.5 turns. It was approx $105 including shipping to my house. One advantage w/ the electric system is the instant adjustability of effort by simply turning a knob. Also, since the pumps were originally used on a small japanese car, they were designed for something near an FFR in weight. My feeling is that there has to be an advantage vs redoing stuff originally designed for a car a 1000 lbs heavier. My 2 cents.

· Registered
6,093 Posts
I've been checking out fast Freddie's EHPS system. Pricey, but what's another $1500 at this point...

After cruizing around the last couple of days, I've decided the manual steering is a little harder than I'm willing to deal with, especially since I'm wanting to do autox in the future.

Seen plenty of good feedback for the Fast Freddie's system, but anyone have any negatives?
After a lot of research, I bought the system from Fast Freddie, and will install in my Mk3 this winter. It is a little pricey, but I would have to change out the also expensive March front dress on my SBF in order to add an engine driven pump, so it was an acceptable cost alternative. The only negative I've heard about the system is some say the pump is loud. FYI, it's a Denso pump originally installed on Toyota MR2's. Some don't like the noise, others say they can't hear it once the engine is running.

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,273 Posts
Sorry for getting OT here fellas, but now were' talking stuff right up my alley. I don't often get a chance to contribute info to the forum.

...Using electric power steering as well as electric fans uses energy from the battery which gets replenished any time the motor is running...these guys do not run any kind of a charging system they just charge the battery betwen rounds.
CB, I understand what you're getting at.

However, in a running street car with a charging system, power will flow from the current source with highest voltage; the alternator. Best case (unloaded) the battery's voltage is approx. 12 volts. A spinning alternator produces 14 or more volts. Current will flow from the alternator only as long as the system voltage remains above battery voltage. Only when the current flow out of the alternator is high enough to produce a voltage drop large enough to drop system voltage to that of the battery's nominal voltage will current begin flowing out of the battery. Even then, how much current flows from the battery as compared to the alternator will depend on the internal resistance of each.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be nice if you continued this post (or supplemented it somehow) in detail so that those of us interested in completing a transition to power steering could use your experience as a guilde. Thanks..
I plan to do just that. But, I do expect this project to take 4-6 weeks at a minimum.

Bob we are both in the same boat.

I am a little shocked over your prices.

John
You and me both! I did a lot of shopping around for both the best price and service. At some places, the price looks good. But when you contact them, they couldn't get what I wanted, or the price on the web site was incorrect.

Bob,

Just a note, i bought the less flow valve fittings(#4-#7) and ended up using the least assist valve (#4). I have an 2.5 turn rack with a small 13" wheel.
Trevor
As said above, I bought the #6 valve. I'll start with that on the street, and see how I like it.

Did you consider electric power steering? At that price it seems to be a wash. No horsepower robbed either :) I only mention it because I've been considering it.
Yes, I did consider it. "No horsepower robbed" - not possible. Life is full of trade offs. You just have to pick what you're willing trade.

Bob, I didn't see a cooling coil or heat sink on your parts list. Not a bad idea to increase the life of your components esp after a long track day.
I did consider it - and I still am. I'm not sure I need it. The KCR pump is supposed to be pretty efficient, and it won't be spinning that fast. I'll keep an eye on the temps during highway and track driving. If the temps are too high, I'll add a cooler.

Very similar to what I just ordered. To save some money , I went with a Jones racing double water pump pulley,

Do you think you will need rack extenders? I discovered today that I don't have enough threads for the outer tie rods.

Ernest
I considered a variety of pulley configurations, including the double water pump pulley. I looked at so many pulleys, it made my head swim. In the end, I went with simplicity over cost.

Not sure about the rack extenders. Once I get the rack installed I'll see how the tie rod ends line up for bump steer.

After a lot of research, I bought the system from Fast Freddie, and will install in my Mk3 this winter. .
I have no doubt that Fast Freddies equipment is top notch. That system uses an electric motor to drive a hydraulic pump to provide the power assist.

Engine power is converted to electricity, which is converted to motor power, with is converted to hydraulic power, which is then converted to steering power. It's a basic law of physics that with each conversion, efficiency is lost. I also suspect (but could be wrong) that it might be a bit heavier.

Again, life is full of trade offs.

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
One misconception I keep seeing here is that electric power steering and electric water pumps are free power. They are not. The power, as stated above, comes from the alternator, which comes from the engine.

Don't think that because you can spin your alternator by hand that you could do that with an electrical load. It takes horsepower. Look at how big an engine is hooked to an emergency generator. Physics doesn't give anything up for free.

Drag racers can gain some HP by only using a battery and no alternator at all. That is where the "electirc water pumps give you HP" comes from.

· Registered
6,093 Posts
Interesting discussion... The electric power steering pump used for Freddie's system was originally designed for the Toyota MR2, where with the mid-engine design they used an electric pump in the front for power steering to eliminate the need for hydraulic hoses to run the length of the car. Later versions added a speed sensitive feature to reduce the assist at higher speeds. Electric pump driven power steering is now nearly the norm on newer DD's because of the speed sensitive feature, allowing the pump to only be drawing power when needed. In this way, it actually does use less engine power than an engine driven pump that runs all the time. Kind of the same thing as when cars switched from engine driven cooling fans to on-demand electric fans. It's not free power, but it's more efficient.

Another factor promoting electric power steering (and other accessories, for that matter) are cars with start-stop technology (e.g. engine stops when stopped at a signal) and the need to keep accessories running without engine power. Start-stop is expected to become much more widespread in the future.

But, as I stated earlier, I'm adding power steering with Freddie's system to my Mk3 to eliminate changing the front dress, changing the water pump, etc. Bolting in the electric pump and running the lines is a relatively easy add-on. I don't have any illusions that it's necessarily a big power saver vs. an engine driven pump. My new Mk4 build, just starting, will have power steering from the start and I will set it up from the beginning with an engine driven pump.

· Charter Member
6,164 Posts
Cone basher, I dont think that is true. The alternator, which is driven by the engine, provides power for the car. The battery is there to turn the starter and then acts as a cushion. You can take the battery out once started and drive the car away.
You can see my engine draw down at idle when the massive 3500cfm cooling fan kicks on. The alternator load is significant. Im not sure what the benefit of having an elec. water pump vs. the regular style.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Wildswing: I see your point but I still think it takes less energy out of the equation to spin the alternator then it does to constantly turn the power steering pump to circulate fluid. If you are running a carbed motor the energy from the battery/alternator does not having to deal with the EFI system. If you have a temp sensor to turn the electric fan(s) one this is also a plus energy wise.
Trevor: If you are running a 3000+CFM fan I understand the energy draw.
Neat discussion!! I still like the electric PS idea because it is a cleaner look to the front of the motor and adds less rotating mass (pulleys). No one builds these cars for energy efficiency and if you guys have a motor driven power steering that works for you that is all that is great.
CB

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.