Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the PS Pulley mounted yesterday. The tool from O'Reily's made all of the difference. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! (don't bother with the bolt, nut, washer trick)
Then, I carefully measured and determined I needed a 70" belt, I told the salesperson at O'Reily's 70", the belt said 70" O.C. (I'm now thinking O.C. stands for Outside Circumference!). The belt I bought was just a hair too small. No biggie, when I returned the pulley puller/installer I picked up a larger belt and it fits like a glove!

Next step was assemble my new SS hoses and AN fittings. This was a little challenging, but I eventually got them together, only sticking my fingertips a couple dozen times.
BTW, BIG THANKS to Mark Reynolds at Breeze. I called him last week and he set me up with all of the adapters, AN fittings, and SS hose.

Current (final?) problem: I thought the hose that slips on the low pressure nub on the pump would be the easy part. Wrong! the high pressure hose (plastic liner) does not stretch and go on well. After struggling with it awhile (the pump is mounted, so installing it is challenging) I pulled it off and tried stretching it with a center punch. I applied a little SilGlide and stretched it then tried to force it on and the liner split. I quit for the evening. I made progress today and can finish tomorrow, but wanted to ask for suggestions. I really didn't feel like it was seating well, even before it split. If it was rubber, I'd push until the hose was completely on, but I don't think I can get this high-pressure hose on that far.

I thought about heating it in boiling water or with my heat gun.

Any better ideas?

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you are trying to install teflon SS hose on the return barb nipples, it will be a struggle. You can try boiling to soften, but in the end I would recommend using a proflex of similar rubber line since it is low pressure. I just completed my PS/Hydroboost line routing so i will post some pictures of my set up.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Put the metal inlet connection (or whole pump, not sure how yours is) in the freezer for a couple hours. Then put the hose in warm water. The inlet should contract and the hose should expand and become a little more pliable.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have a scrap piece of the SS line, I'll practice on.
I'll try boiling and softening with my heat gun.

The good news is I'm almost done and the belt squeal is gone! (my idler pulley was making a God Awful noise and driving me crazy. It was a big motivator in replacing it with the PS pump! :001_rolleyes: Plus backing it into the garage will be much easier now :001_tongue:)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Left work early today to get home during daylight so I could tackle this.

Practiced on scrap piece and determined I could heat up and expand it without splitting.
After heating up the SS line with the heat gun on high, then inserting the tapered center punch, and after great diligence, I was able to expand it enough to fit over the nub (cooling the pump was feasible, since it was already mounted Maybe, but it was my last resort). I heated it up quite a bit, it was actually starting to smoke.
I was able to get it onto the nub, but just barely enough to get the small hose clamp to hold it. Good enough for a couple go-karts around the neighborhood, but not a permanent solution for an extended trip or cruise.

I think I'm going to look into getting some flexible braided SS and replace it later.

After I buttoned it up and refilled the reservoir, I fired it up and took it around the subdivision before it got dark.
I must say, the power steering is a significant improvement. Really noticed it backing into the garage!

For anyone considering this, DO IT! I HIGHLY recommend it.

Thanks for talking me into this upgrade :001_smile:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Great job! You are motivating me to stick with it. My PS project is taking about as long as building the car!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I procrastinated doing it, but the annoying squeal of my temporary idler motivated me to replace it. It's a minor victory, but a milestone I can check off my list.
I keep a detailed on-going to-do list of everything I want to do in the next 2 months and love to cross things off of it. I re-prioritize and add new tasks weekly. Kind of an Agile Project Management Approach! (the IT PMs will get that) :001_tongue:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Mark there is a place that make hoses up just north of the Gravois VIAduct on the left. coming from the south.
not too much heat with the heat gun, remember more pressure in these PS hoses than fuel lines.
boiling water works the best but you don't put your hands in it:evil:you just put the hose end in.:001_tongue: like i told you a while back i found it easier doing it on the ground and on a piece of thick carpeting, the carpet hold it in place the 90"s and 45's are the hardest to keep hold of

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leo, this is the low pressure side, so little worry about blowing it.
It's the teflon lining that dealt me a fit.
I'm going to buy a SS rubber hose and replace it.

couple pics:

·
Registered
794 Posts
MP Tech, can you tell me specifically what fittings were used on your Ford pump? Those fittings are part of the pressure/flow valve so you can't just put anything in there and call it a day. I was thinking of using a stock PS pressure hose, cutting off the rack end and putting on an -6 AN right angle fiitting to mate to the rack. What adapter is in your pump pressure outlet that gets you to the AN fitting?
Thanks,
Rick

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
You use a metric O-Ring Base (ORB) fitting in the rack for pressure and return to convert to AN. Breeze, Hydratech, Gotta Show, and others sell them, either on their own or with the braided teflon line kits.

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi, Mark. Thanks, I got that part.....what is the adapter coming out of the pump pressure port? The stock hose end that connects there is a part of the volume/pressure valve. I would like to know what the adapter is (shown in the first and second pic below) that threads into the pump output port and allows an AN connection.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
794 Posts
:blushing: I am such an idiot. I've spent two days staring at the OE pump trying to figure out how that was going to work.......
I looked at a reman pump online and sure enough, there it is. :001_rolleyes:
Now it makes sense.
Thanks Rich!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
And you thread an adapter into the pump fitting to convert it as well...

Mark

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks, guys. You have to understand that the OE pump is entirely different in that regard. When you take the pressure hose off you are looking right at the slug in the pump with the spring behind it. The rest of the valve assembly is an integral part of the hose end. I had them sitting side by side for days trying to figure out how to get them to look like the picture below. Never dawned on me to take a look at a reman pump, which has the valve assembly as part of the metric output fitting. Duh!
So thanks again guys...I've got it from here! (famous last words) :001_smile:

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
The fitting is not part of the OE hose. Either it is seized or someone welded it together.

This is a typical 5.0L PS pressure hose. The fitting on the left is to the pump, the fitting on the right of the hose is to the rack...

Here's our braided line set with adapter threaded into the pump to convert to AN -6...

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.