Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,874 Posts
I think it depends on the other parts you are using. I used stock 88 LCA's, spindles, and rack and did not need them.

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Hey Henry!
FFR recommends them anytime a power rack (or non FFR specific manual rack) is used as a means of improving geometry related to bump steer but as you know there were thousands of cars built before they came up with the extenders. I've done cars both with and without and do not exhibit bump steer in either configuration while driving, although measuring through a wide range of suspension travel might well show a difference.

Curious; why the '94 rack? The Fox units are almost 4 inches narrower, all of it in the inner tie rod. You'll have to cut the inner tie rods to bring it to the same width as a Fox rack, then if you install the extenders it will necessitate cutting them even further. You may find that you'll be out of threads or have to use the short outer tie rods that Mark Reynolds offers. The '94 also has that funky pyramid style coupling that requires the adapter to mate with the Mk4 steering shaft while the Fox racks do not need an adapter.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Henry

I had a1995 donor but ended up buying a Fox rack for the reasons Jeff mentioned. I had the same question as you so, when I initially installed the rack I put a rack extender on one end and not on the other to see the difference. With the steering centered the side with the rack extender had the pivot points for the inner tie rod and upper and lower control arms all lined up. The side without the extender had the tie rod point about 3/4 inch inside that of the control arms. I'm no geometry wiz but, to me it seemed the rack extender would eliminate some bump steer so I installed them.

Good Luck
Norm

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Thx Dave,

I am using FFR's spindles and lower control arms and a new 94 Mustang rack.

Henry
Henry,

What did it take to adapt the 94 rack?

Did you have any issues with the inner tie rods, how about adapting the rack to the steering shaft?

Do you know what years mustang use this rack?

We need to talk about your AC stuff...

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.