Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few people here who have found way to make the door locks a reality. No just locking capability, but power locking capability.

This is something that definiely want to do in my build, and was hopeful that you might share your knowledge, to help the rest of us builders figure how to the same.

Is is simply a matter of cutting and re-welding the bars so that you gain some room, or is there some other secret?

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
You'll need to use different latches than what is in the kit.....that is, if you want to use the key-lock in the 'Vette handles......or get really creative with some linkage. At any rate, it's going to take some fabrication of either a new mounting plate to mount new latches or some funky linkage set-up to use the locking mech that is on the FFR latches. I have not done any of the above on any of my builds, so I can't be of much more help than that.....other than to suggest getting rid of the 'Vette outer door handles and install poppers in the doors.......no lock needed at that point....well, as long as you have ISIS or some other security system to disable the poppers when the system is armed.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll need to use different latches than what is in the kit.....that is, if you want to use the key-lock in the 'Vette handles......or get really creative with some linkage. At any rate, it's going to take some fabrication of either a new mounting plate to mount new latches or some funky linkage set-up to use the locking mech that is on the FFR latches. I have not done any of the above on any of my builds, so I can't be of much more help than that.....other than to suggest getting rid of the 'Vette outer door handles and install poppers in the doors.......no lock needed at that point....well, as long as you have ISIS or some other security system to disable the poppers when the system is armed.
Yep. The shaved handles, and poppers are about the only way that I've seen that provides a solution for it. I guess my curriosity was raised when I saw a post by a recent builder who said that power door locks were part of his build. I believe it was Dalton, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys, I did create locking mechanisms that work with the handles and remote control. It aint pretty inside the door, but works great. The cost is very low, I used a hardware store slide latch, 5 inches long, and angled it into the FFR-supplied hardware to jamb the latch. After I got the rod lengths working in soft brass, I replaced with rods from various donor cars. By keeping the joints tight, I prevented rattles. The finished doors have sound deadener applied. Simple solution using "Commander" door opener/alarm system combo.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, I did create locking mechanisms that work with the handles and remote control. It aint pretty inside the door, but works great. The cost is very low, I used a hardware store slide latch, 5 inches long, and angled it into the FFR-supplied hardware to jamb the latch. After I got the rod lengths working in soft brass, I replaced with rods from various donor cars. By keeping the joints tight, I prevented rattles. The finished doors have sound deadener applied. Simple solution using "Commander" door opener/alarm system combo.
Thanks Dalton. I appreciate the info. Good stuff!

·
1,481 Posts
I changed a few things around. Works great. I put in a cable just in case you need to open the door from the inside as a manual override.

Happy Building, Ron

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
A very effective and easily duplicatable solution. thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts