Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I know absolutely squat about electronics and wiring. Truthfully, I'm just wingin' it at this point. But I need to get the wiring sorted out so I can get to a point I can drop the motor in.
I'm using a compact starter that has the solenoid built in, and the wiring harness will not reach that far down, so is this something I should install on the firewall, where a solenoid would normally be located? If so, what type of configuration, how many poles, how should the wiring be configured? If I want to power items that are not wired into the harness, would I pull power from this location?
Man, even I didn't realize how many questions I had! If anyone can help to educate me on this it would be a huge help. I continue to dread the wiring, not because I mind doing it, but because I understand so little about it. Thanks in advance.

Rick

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
First you need to run the battery (+ hot) to the starter. Will that reach?

Then you can run another (+) up to the new power post to fit to the wiring harness. I like to use Blue Sea electrical items such as this.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-PowerPost-Studs/dp/B000K2IJZ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1535422846&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+sea+stud&dpID=414t5W3oBiL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

It gives you many options as to how many accessories you may add in the future with the many different kinds of power posts they have. If you have room you could add a small fuse panel on the firewall. I've done that and used a Blue Sea panel. My extra panel, however, is in the drivers footbox.

The wire from the dash starter key switch to the starter can simply be lengthened to reach the solenoid on the starter.

Many will use a second solenoid on the firewall in place of the power post. Either is ok.

George

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George,
Thanks for that explaination. It's starting to make more sence. If you have any pictures, and know which unit you used, I'd like to see how you did the extra fuse panel. I purchased what I think is a Blue Sea fuse box. I'm just having some trouble figuring how to install it. Again, thanks for the help.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts