·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do power brakes need a pump on the engine similar to a power steering pump

thanks

·
2,372 Posts
Most power brake boosters use the vacume created by a line to the manifold to create power.The Manifolds negative pressure from intake being utilised.
There are self contained electric boosted systems such as the Buick GNX powermaster master cylinder that use an electric pump to create pressure. Also the Hydroboost system used on Later model Mustangs that are pump-belt driven.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Like said it depends what system is used. Hydro boost uses a motor mounted pump to power the brakes. Most use the vacum booster type power brakes. It mounts behind the master cylinder to the fire wall. You will need to do the frame mod if useing this. Probally the least expensive way to go.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
If you use hydroboost, it "shares" the power steering pump, or maybe they share one designed to be shared.

But anyway, my point is, if you already have power steering, you need not fear hanging an "extra" pump on the motor.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have anything at the moment, I just want to plan ahead because power steering and power breaks are 2 cool options I would like to try to add. If possible to kill both birds with 1 pump that would be the way to go for me, I just dont have any experience with either system to be honest.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
As someone who started this project with very little experience, I found it easier to use the power steering pump with just the standard lines to power steering and using a vacuum booster for the brakes. There is much less plumbing this way. There are others who disagree, this is just my perspective.

Todd

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Vacuum assisted power brakes are the least expensive, and least complicated way to add power brakes....They are easily added, even if you don't already have power steering...
The electric and hydroboost systems require considerably more engineering on your part...The advantage to these systems, is that if you have a performance cam in your engine, low vacuum will not be a problem....
You can easily add power brakes with vacuum assist, for under $150 (If you shop around)...Even less , if you have a donor...
If you go Hydroboost or electric, you can spend $1500 to $2500....That's a big incentive to use vacuum assist.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you go Hydroboost or electric, you can spend $1500 to $2500....That's a big incentive to use vacuum assist.
I got my hydroboost including master cylinder off a 2004 Mustang GT at the local salvage yard for $100. I paid about $200 for all the hoses and fittings for both the hydroboost and the power steering.

Someone had a post a few months ago listing what fittings are necessary. Do a search.

Cheers,

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Yes, and a used vacuum booster can cost as little as $15...depending on which one you use, and which salvage yard you find it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts