Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning my power brake conversion, and I was wondering if anyone has installed the Mustang booster on a car with a modded brake pedal? Also, how much clearance is there to pull the pedal pivot bolt on a finished car, even with a footbox access panel?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,040 Posts
You don't want a cut pedal with a power booster. I did this on a drag car years ago (didn't know the factory non-power pedal was different) and it was way too easy to bang your head on the steering wheel.
Jeff Hamilton

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
I have moved the pedal back into the power brake pivot point. To gain access I pulled the seat and laid down on the floor. I then was able to remove the clutch cable and quardrent so I could get to the nut for the brake pedal. You can then get to it but just barely. You will also be able to bolt in the booster while laying down on the floor. When you get ready to do this and would like some help let me know. I live in Lancaster Ma

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, John. It's nice to know it's possible. I'll be taking the car off the road for the winter next month. I'm going to cut the access hatch first thing. I had to replace the brake switch a while back, and I decided that working in the footbox from the bottom is right up there with getting a root canal!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
If you cut the access panel, it's not too hard to pull the pivot bolt. If I remember, you have to pull the clutch cable and quadrant like John says, but that's not too bad from the top. I didn't know it could be done from the bottom but I'm not too surprised. Very nice of John to offer to help. Having a second person would really help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts