Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
Its been done both by me and many others, search the archives. There is plenty of info. It really depends on much fabrication you want to do.
Power Brakes

Tony F

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
Mark,

Haven't done it yet, but did the research. It seems the easiest way to make this work (I'm using the stock brakes from my '93 donor - disc front; drum rear) is to get the Whitby frame bracket. It "modifies" one of your frame rails to go around the booster, there isn't an issue with the master cylinder. You remove a portion of the frame rail, insert the Whitby "patch", bolt it all together, and you're done. I suppose it could be welded in as well. Check Whitby's website for details and a picture.

Allan

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,157 Posts
Mark,

Several people are running the Mustang hydroboost power brake assist unit. It doesn't require any frame mods.

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
774 Posts
I used the Buick Powermaster unit from a Grand National. I just had to redrill one of the holes in the firewall. For those using the Hydroboost unit, be ware there is a flaw with the design. This is a known issue in Police Cruisers with the hydroboost. When hard on the brakes and turning rapidly, the hydroboost can stall and basicly feels like the steering wheel is locked up. This will only be an issue if you are using both powerbrakes and powersteering.
Sean

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
To all,

I thought seriously about hydroboost, and I know a lot of Early Bronco 4x4 guys that use it and love it, but I'm an old fart when it comes to my brakes. With hydroboost, if the engine isn't running, neither is your brake boost. At least with a properly operationg vacuum booster, you've got one or two more good shots at your brakes (if your engine quits) before things get ugly.

At my age, I don't like ugly.

Allan

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,157 Posts
I know the hydroboost unit stores some pressure in a compressed gas cylinder that provides a few brake cycles if the engine dies. It gets recharged by the ps pump when the engine runs again.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts