Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MK II FF Cobra and I am converting over the manual brakes to power brakes. I have the stock pedal box and a new 91 mustang gt power booster. I do have the original master cylinder and reservoir. What mater cylinder are people running with the stock mustang booster? And where are they getting the fittings and remote reservoir to complete the system?

I read on the forum about the mercury villager ms but it does dont fit without modifing the rod and holes. Any assistance is greatly apprecieated.

Thank you

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,034 Posts
You can use several different master cylinders depending on your brake set up (disc-drum, disc-disc, Cobra disc-disc, ect.) The Mercury Villager will need a little help to fit but works well and has a remote fill. I used these before the price went way up. If you don't care about remote fill there is several cheaper masters that work well just a little harder to get fluid in after the body is on. The way I look at it is the new brakes should be good for atleast 10 years and it isn't that hard to get fluid in it.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
I used a 94/95 mustang cobra MC. The Villager setup is just for the remote reservoir, which should just plug into the MC. I don't know that the Villager MC is recommended - maybe someone else can chime in on that.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,034 Posts
There is only one Villager master cylinder. They offer 2 different part numbers with and without ABS but for use on FFR's they are the same. The Villager master is a disc/drum master. If you have a 4 wheel disc you need a different master.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Premium Member
10,433 Posts
I've got the Merc Villager on a 87-93 stock booster, Mustang fronts, 89' Tbird SC IRS rears, disc all around.
Feels and stops like factory.
Not much mod at all for fit up. I've got the instructions if you decide on this route.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Power Brakes

We Changed my MK2 over to power brakes 2 years ago, best thing I ever did with the brakes! Just do it. If you still have the drums in the rear, the stock MC should be fine.
Oh, and get the spacer from Loadstone, makes it so much easier.
HTH
CDJ

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Use the stock master cylinder

I converted my rear brakes to Richard Oben's disk kit and while ordering I asked him about the master cylinder/booster. His reply was to use the stock setup. Go buy Whidby's frame mod to fit the booster and Lodestone Billetworks spacer and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I used the [email protected] R master cylinder with the Mustang dual diaphram power booster. The 4 wheel disk brakes on the complete kit are basically the same as the [email protected] R, so I used that MC. It even has the deep hole in the piston, slips right on the booster with no adjustment needed.

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
I used the [email protected] R master cylinder with the Mustang dual diaphram power booster. The 4 wheel disk brakes on the complete kit are basically the same as the [email protected] R, so I used that MC. It even has the deep hole in the piston, slips right on the booster with no adjustment needed.
I used the same setup and it worked well...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Power Brake Assistance

Thank you for all the replies. I have stock disc in the front and stock drums in the rear. All is new but stock. It sounds like I could reuse the used or a new stock master cylinder for the 91 mustang gt. But if I wanted to run a remote reservoir(s), how do I do it? I have been to all the local auto parts stores for fittings and they dont exist.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,527 Posts
Check with Lodestone Billetworks, they supply the booster spacer and I believe he makes fittings for a remote reservoir. Check up top under vendor links....

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Power Brake Assistance

If I go to a mercury villager master cylinder to mount up to the 91 mustang gt booster, which year village Master Cylinder are you using? And how are you modifing it to work? Drill holes? Cut push rod? Thanks again in advance with this one.

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
I know the fittings that attach the Villager remote resevoir to the Villager master cylinder will also attach to a 94/95 GT master cylinder. Will those same fittings attach to the 91 stock master cylinder? If so then it is pretty much plug and play - the only thing that you are adding beyond what you have is the remote resevoir and the hoses out of the Villager.

Will those same fittings (Villager) attach to the 91 stock master cylinder? Isn't that the basic question here? Anyone know the answer?

Greg

·
Premium Member
10,433 Posts
Send me your email address and I'll send you the directions for the Merc Villager MC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts