Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my brake rotors powdercoated. The PC guy suggests only the vent and the side of the hat and not any mounting surface i.e. where the hub or wheel meet the rotor. This sound right?

Obviously we won't coat the rotor surface! :eek:

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Yep, that's how I did mine:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sal,

I had checked out your front end. Looks to me like the wheel mounting surface is coated?

John

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Yes, the hub area is coated. I asked my guy about it, and he said that's how he always does them, and have never had a problem with it. People paint rotors too, so it's not uncommon to cover the hub pad area.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I wouldn't think there should be anything on the wheel mating surface but I guess it works ok. It would bother me that there is that chance that the powder coating would not be even and cause the wheel to wobble.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Easiest is to coat the whole rotor and then just turn the rotor to remove the p.coat. I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel mounting surface. You shouldn't see enough thickness variation to affect the wheel mounting.

·
1,589 Posts
John,

I know you can't pick the color but zinc plating is very nice. No thickness addition and it just wears off where the pads are. They stay nice and bright everwhere else. Look in the phonebook under plating.

-Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts