Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should powder coating all aluminum cost? I just got quoted over $2k! Seems high to me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I paid about 400 Canadian including all the steel stuff like parking brake and hinges.
Find the guys with big ovens that do big gates and fences. I had 2 similar quotes and one crazy one.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Um yea... That's way out of line. Somewhere in the $500 - 800 range for everything at the upper end. Depends on your area, family deals, etc. Do it in as big of batches as possible. That helps with the cost.

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
I fully agree with edwardb. I would like to add.....are you showing them a picture or taking the parts with you so they can see them....powder coaters are like painters, a little more visual. In most cases they bead blast steel parts and the aluminum they just wipe down for oils. You leave the floors and rear cockpit/trans tunnel out and just do fire-wall and foot boxes...da Bat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The place I brought it to has a 60 ft oven and they have the parts so they can see what they were getting into. Now they have all aluminum...guess I could take the cockpit aluminum out but I wanted all to be uniform. I thought the price was high from what I saw in past threads. I'm talking to the GM today and if he isn't going to come down on price, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I fully agree with edwardb. I would like to add.....are you showing them a picture or taking the parts with you so they can see them....powder coaters are like painters, a little more visual. In most cases they bead blast steel parts and the aluminum they just wipe down for oils. You leave the floors and rear cockpit/trans tunnel out and just do fire-wall and foot boxes...da Bat
Good advice, as the floor, trans tunnel, and cockpit wall are covered by carpet. I just rattled can the outsides black. Dynamat went under the carpet.

·
Not a waxer
11,551 Posts
That's crazy; about 2X the highest I've ever heard which was for everything and still considered high. When you get a quote that far out of whack what they're really saying is "I don't want to do the job...but if you'll pay my jacked up price I will."

Jeff

·
Registered
436 Posts
Way Too Expensive

I had all my aluminum panels powder coated for less than $400, but that was 7 years ago. The thought behind doing them all was that the powder coated surface would provide a more stable surface for adhesion of Dynamat, undercoating, and silicon. Aluminum does corrode, especially when it's in contact with other metals and water.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a cheap powder coat tool for about $100 and a homemade oven for about $30. Does a fine job. I wouldn’t pay that kind of money unless you just had to! Get all kinds of powder coatings on Amazon.

·
Charter Member
1,479 Posts
If you decide to powder coat your panels, be sure the coater you use sand/bead blasts them, (not to the point of warping them). The place I used to work at did all of EdwardB's panels, and I think it was about$1K. It's a lot of work. Don't trust solvent washing or phosphate. You need to profile the surface to make any coating stick. Silver colors need to be clear coated because "most" are not UV stable. Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts