Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never PC'd anything before nor do I know anyone who has. How much fumes are created during the PCing process. There's not enough room in my garage for a dedicated oven but I could put one in the basement. The drawback would be the odor and fumes. Could it be smelled inside the house and am crazy for thinking of this or should I try to get an oven and set it up?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
It kinda smells like melting plastic and most likely would smell up the house a bit. It really isn't all that bad IMO but I've never smelled it in an enclosed space before. I took the ******* approach and do mine in an old oven on the back porch. If you could figure out a way to vent some of it outside I think it would be okay. The only time I really notice it is when I open the oven to check on flow-out.

HTH

[ August 26, 2007, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Techno Tim ]

·
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
3,860 Posts
If you have windows that can be opened, for some cross ventilation, it should be ok. It does smell, but it is not an obnoxious odor.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the replies. Todd that has possibilities.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
I use the same thing as Todd, although I have never powdercoated pizza before. I found an old toaster oven at a yard sale and it works well.

·
Junior Charter Member
37 Posts
well i went out and got an old oven 40$ the built in kind and sat it on a trailer out side I to also started with a toaster oven and it got way to small then the built in oven got to small I cannot get my dohc valve covers in it 1 inch to small story of my life now I am looking for a larger oven the smell and smoke is not that bad at all but I know if i did it inside once and the wife was at home that would be the last time inside

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Not to Hijack, but what are you guys using to do the PCing at home? Did you just pick up a cheap HF kit or is there something better?

·
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
3,860 Posts
I bought my powder coater from Sears and like Robin I found an oven at a appliance repair shop for $40.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My PC system is the cheapest 1 from eastwood. Works great and very little fumes. I do mine in the house and the smell will linger for an hour or so, but it isn't that strong.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
I currently use the one from Sears. It works fine, but it is built like a POS. The first time I used it, the cup lock broke, oh well, I can live without it. Right now it is giving me small electric shocks through the handle.

When I get around to replacing it I plan on getting the one from Caswell.

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_coat.htm

BTW if you haven't tried powder as a pizza topping you haven't truly had pizza. ;)

Todd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
The Caswell gun is almost identical to the HF model and works about the same. I have the HF and a buddy has the Caswell model. While the power supply looks a bit different, the pedal, gun and cups are identical.

Sometimes the HF version can be had for $50 or $60 and they often have the cups on sale for a buck or a buck fifty each (can't remember which).

So far I have gotten all my powder from Eastwood. I love the anodize red and blue and the mirror black is wicked.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
I have the early Eastwood setup and it works fine as long as you keep your powder dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts