Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some feedback on the aluminum panels. I like the look of flat black for the engine bay and I'm trying to decide if I should powder coat, paint them or leave them alone. I think over time if I leave them alone the will oxidize, if I paint them they may peel, and I was hoping if I powder coat them they would last the longest time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know folks who have used shark hide or something similar. It takes a good prep if you're going to paint them. I chose to powder coat because, in my mind, it was the most durable option. Drill all your holes, de-bur the edges and holes, and drop them off at a reputable shop. Took about a week to get mine back in a nice silver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, they look great. Is it a new build or have you had them on for a few seasons?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, they look great. Is it a new build or have you had them on for a few seasons?
That was during the build. Here is the engine compartment now after a few thousand miles and a closeup of the firewall I took for another member to answer a question. A bit of road grime has kicked up onto it, but after this picture was taken, I used some simple green and it cleaned right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with gloss black powder coat on mine for the durability. It's not glossy like paint or glass but it makes cleaning a lot easier. It's hardly noticeable if you have enough 'bling' in the engine bay 😁

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,429 Posts
If you decide to paint them I really like the Rustoleum Hammered paint over Rustoleum Self etching primer. Put maybe 4 coats each a little thicker to get the max 'hammered' look.
VC in Hammered Black by craig stuard, on Flickr

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's my take. Added a little cost but man it ended up nice in there. that's almost black. has a touch of bronze in it to match later paint scheme.

I carried it throughout. took a couple trips to the powder coater but I love it.

I went nuts and hit everything with it. Still waiting on paint but i got rid of all shiny metal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also, I'm currently doing a side project. A shop did a terrible job on powdercoating against my wishes (they weren't supposed to do it as they're only a metal shop, i was saving it for the pros). To salvage the job I've been grinding and sanding. I can attest to powdercoat being ridiculous strong and long lasting. I finally gave up and the pros had to blast it off there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts