Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
After two thoroughly enjoyable years, my build has been finished for about a month. I'm thoroughly enjoying the driving experience and showing my car. My problem is I'm finding myself going thru post build withdrawals!
I miss not having the daily challenge of dreaming up and creating design solutions and fabricating unique parts or going to the store or searching the web and trying to figure out how to adapt odd ball stuff to my needs, planning out jobs and creating assembly processestechniques. After 2 years I have lots of "Honey Do's" to catch up on, so I'm not bored with nothing to do, but it's just not the same fixing fences or leaky water bibs. Any body else experience this?
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
7,134 Posts
Bob it is a very real thing... no wonder so many guys do another car.

I suggested it to my wife and she made another suggestion which included a bed in my barn, so i'm stuck with my one Cobra :D

I have now built a storage shed, and as soon as the weather warms will be continueing landscaping, but not working on the car is a bummer. Have also looked for a resto to work on like so many other guys..

·
5,573 Posts
I can see it coming. I like nothing better than popping out at lunch to track down the latest required fastener or shape or something...to fuel the evening's task.....I get the same feeling from whatever my project is so when I move back to home stuff I think I will be ok....and the WAF will be much higher.

·
1,056 Posts
Bob,
Come on up to Maryland and help me with mine. It's cold and wet, but fun! There are plenty of dirty parts to clean and paint.

·
5,559 Posts
Bob,
That's why I just tore the whole rear end and suspension out! I'm doing an IRS retrofit just for a new project with a lttle bit of challenge. I'm also going to do a revamp of the front suspension and steering when that's finished. Then with any luck, I may start on a new driveline for next winter! ;) It's never "done"!

Brian

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
I can see this coming myself. When I completed doing everything I wanted to on my VW Passat, I was lost for a few months with nothing to do until I got permission from the "boss" for the Cobra.

All last year has been a great ride... and I'm just talking about the donor and the engine!

I'm close to finishing the rear end; this has to last me for a while because after that, there is NOTHING else for 2 years before my kit arrives... yup, I don't even have the kit and already I'm feeling very stagnant. However, I keep on this board and continue to get tips, ideas and advice on things that haven't even happened yet.

But I can understand your feeling. (heh, my backup plan was to restore a 65 Mustang. if the boss said no to the FFR.)

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts
So it gets worse, I've been without mine for 3 months while the body and paint was getting done.
Its amazing how the honey do list came out when the car went away. Soon to be home and finish it up and enjoy it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My wife didn't give me any static while building my car. She let me do what ever I wanted.
As soon as it was done I was informed that she wanted to re do the kitchen. Funny how the kitchen will cost about the same as the Cobra. I guess the trick is never to tell her its done.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
My car was built over the summer of 1997.

But, in reality, I've built it over again two more times.

You can always upgrade and change things. The car I drive today is not the same car I "completed" in '97.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Bob,

The first month was during the Christmas holidays, and it wasn't so bad. Beside, I guess I was "burnt out" from working on it so much (tough to work a real job 50-60 hours a week and still finish one in 16 months.)

January has sucked here in north Texas. I've only had about 4-5 days that it wasn't raining, or too cold to go for a ride. I've found myself playing a lot of "Texas no limit Hold 'Em" on a computer game that plugs into the front of the TV.

Anyway, I sure am saving a lot of money lately, and the UPS guy came by just to see the car and make sure everyone was OK (hadn't made a delivery in a while). Now I'm starting to have trouble getting this EFI stack system for the big block out of my mind.........

Yeah, I know how you feel.......

td

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Mac:
Hi Guys,
After two thoroughly enjoyable years, my build has been finished for about a month. I'm thoroughly enjoying the driving experience and showing my car. My problem is I'm finding myself going thru post build withdrawals!
Bob Mac
FFR3981
Bob,

If you fancy some skiing or skating you could always come help build mine :D

Just remember to bring yer thermal undies....

- SB

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Lennon:
My car was built over the summer of 1997.

You can always upgrade and change things. The car I drive today is not the same car I "completed" in '97.
Contact NASAProRacing.com. Learning how to drive it is more fun than the build. A couple driving sessions with an instructor will bring out that the car is not finished.

I built 1225 in the fall of 1997 and it's a totally different car today. It's faster, safer, handles better and I look forward to safe driving conditions on an open track. If it wasn't so much fun to drive on the track I wouldn't even have the thing.

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
You are suffering from the disease "Cobra-Post-Build-Syndrome"....The only cure is money....That is spend more money on the car...Change something, tweak something...Stop petting the car every time you walk through the garage...
You are referring to it as "THE CAR"...your wife is referring to it as "THAT CAR!"....A subtle, but important distinction....By the way , there is NO KNOWN CURE! :eek:

·
1,568 Posts
Bob:

Like I mentioned before, you are welcome anytime to fly out to the west coast and help me complete my project. I am always in need of a creative mind. Besides, I have a bunch of "honey do's" I need to get to before the better half starts to regret her support of my cobra build. So, I'm getting a little anxious to get done and drive.

Curtis

·
FFCobra Fanatic
402 Posts
"Post build withdrawls?"

It sounds like you guys may need to spend some time on the open road.

How about "Pre drive addiction"?

Vrroooom.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Bob'
I am going through the same thing kinda, I have been waiting for the body shop to finish the painting and I have gone through the car and took care of some items I wasn't happy with but I feel a bit of depression being at a standstill. I still am looking forward to your visit
Mike

·
Registered
934 Posts
I guess I'm the total opposite from you Bob. I can't wait for this project to be done. My garage has looked like a tornado blew through it from day one of my build - and I've always had a clean garage. I've been tripping over boxes and car parts for 1.5 years now.

I'm so jealous of all the "cruising" stories you guys tell, I just can't wait to be there.

My wife and I just had our first baby. He's now 5 weeks old and I love playing with him. Now more than ever, I just want the "cobra project" done

The end is in site... I just dropped the body off with Batman yesterday :D

I don't expect an Post Build Withdrawls on my end - but that's just me.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
So what would you do differently? Have to upgrade the suspension? Add a little horse to the output? Do you have some kind of engraved panel with info about the car, that you built it, when you got the kit and when you finished it? I think of these as works of art. I'm not going to show the car, its not show quality, yet I like what I have done and I made it. I think some of the things I enjoyed the most were the things that I changed from the original kit. Maybe you need to make your own aluminum trailer(aluminum for the light weight) and enclose it. That would be a great project. Then you can take a trip to Colorado or wherever and experience some of this beautiful country in this beautiful car. We have been thinking of doing this. It would be a great way to meet the locals. Imagination- The skys the limit. Goodluck, Glen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts