Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason I ask is that I'm building the J pipes for my shorty headers (see sig) and really don't want to do that with the body on the car. Seems to me that there should be some pretty consistent distances from the frame (and hence the body since the body connects to two places on each side of the car) that I could set them to.

Same goes for the cutouts since they must be a pretty consistent distance from where the hanger goes.

Well, that's the theory at least. Somebody set me straight on this. Thx!

·
STACKED Senior Charter Member
592 Posts
Hi Ed.Im not an expert but I think you will find
putting the pipes on before the body will not be
fun Cant say its impossible but I just looked at mine and the pipes are in the way of the body bolts its just my opinion but i think tou will
need to at least fit the pipes and body together
seeing as your building the pipes although your
home built j pipes will be 100% better than factory ones good luck I hope I helped a little

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I understand for the final mount I'll need the body on first, but I'm hoping to get away without fitting the body just to build the J's. Guess I better keep working the aluminum so if I do have to set the body on it will fit somewhat correctly...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ed, I just got my custom headers for mine. I'm gonna wait until after the seams are done to fit the pipes. At that point I can take care of any necessary fitment issues. The intermediate pipes aren't a big deal but I have made sure there is enough room to fit some bullet cats in the place of the intermediate pipes just in case. (I hate the smell of open exhaust unless it's VP racing fuel)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
In a word Yes,but it wont be easy.You will need to duplicate the exhaust outlet and approximate shape of the 5.0 headers (so you dont have any interferance with the FFR chassis) and the FFR J pipes,so you'll need the headers and FFR J pipes for a 5.0.This will get you in the ballpark.You will need to put the body on for final fitting though.The side of the body may need to be shimmed to allow clearance for the body mount or to help align the door bottoms to the body.The side pipe relationship to the body will change due to the shimming process.Once the body is properly shimmed you can modify(drill,cut,weld,etc.)the J pipe if needed so the side pipes run parallel and true to the body.I've seen in several cases the body side pipe cut outs have to be moved or enlarged for proper side pipe alignment(this is why you'll need the body on for final J pipe adjustments)When using the FFR side pipes and J pipes it is possible to loosen the J pipe fasteners and allow the side pies to swing down to gain acess to the side body mount bolts.Good luck.

[ December 31, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts